First Bottle Bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collmorgen

Reaction score
Well I had my first bottle bombs in two years of brewing. Now I have to clean up. My question is how should I handle the unexploded bottles? Do they pose any danger?

Hello, lurker here finally signed up to the forum!

From what I've read in the past, most people suggest chilling them down and getting them down your neck!

I wonder also if you can "burp" the bottles a little and recap...

Anyway hi everyone, you guys have been indispensable in my first six months of brewing!

Evs

Yes, absolutely they are dangerous. Get a rubbermaid or other sealable container and store them in there in case another one blows.

I've found glass up to 15ft away from bottle bombs...be careful.

Well I had my first bottle bombs in two years of brewing. Now I have to clean up. My question is how should I handle the unexploded bottles? Do they pose any danger?

Just be careful and treat them with respect. I had one blow in a box, so I lined up the bottles the counter preparing to dump. #2 blew about 10 feet from me - BANG!. Holy hell - glass shards and beer everywhere. If that bottle had been in my hand, my fiddling days would be over. 3 minutes later, I had long sleeves, chem goggles, and leather gloves on.

There was another thread here where bottle bombs destroyed a guy's glass shower. He put the box in the glass-walled shower. The bombs took out all the walls. I've seen pics of glass embedded into drywall, too.

I started kegging very shortly after my incident. Yes, it freaked me out a bit.

Just be careful and treat them with respect. I had one blow in a box, so I lined up the bottles the counter preparing to dump. #2 blew about 10 feet from me - BANG!. Holy hell - glass shards and beer everywhere. If that bottle had been in my hand, my fiddling days would be over. 3 minutes later, I had long sleeves, chem goggles, and leather gloves on.

There was another thread here where bottle bombs destroyed a guy's glass shower. He put the box in the glass-walled shower. The bombs took out all the walls. I've seen pics of glass embedded into drywall, too.

I started kegging very shortly after my incident. Yes, it freaked me out a bit.
Christ on a bike!

I'm not sure why they blew. My guess is that my bottling sugar didn't get well mixed because I opened a couple of the survivors and they were flat.

I've had a few. I would dump them all immediately while wearing glasses and thick clothes. Trying to salvages crappy super overcarbonated beer isn't worth a grenade going off in your hand IMO.

Back