First boil in an aluminum kettle and the inside turns blackish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwcm

Reaction score
I've had this pot: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CHJI30/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 for a while now and haven't yet had the opportunity to use it.

Following some folks suggestions I boiled 10ish (eyeballed it) gallons of water on my burner first prior to actually using it to brew. The whole inside of the pot where the water was is now covered in a dark layer of discoloration. Is this normal? My little 3 gal stainless pots don't discolor at all but they are a totally different material. Also, the steam smelled....weird. I've had some starsan in the pot before but I rinsed it out every time. Soon as I get the camera charged I'll take some pics if need be.

So.......did I waste $70.00 buying this pot or is this normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only normal but desired. The dark color is an oxidation layer that you want to keep as a barrier between your wort and the pure Al of the pot. Think of it as seasoning.

Thats completely normal. I'm pretty sure it's an oxygen layer on there. Mine looks like that too and I have the same pot

Close. It's an oxidation layer that's needed,since beer/wort is acidic & can leach aluminum into the brew. And don't use starsan (acid sanitizer) in it,or abrasive cleaners. Or you'll have to season it all over again.

I have a similar issue with a strainer I used for the first time. I believe it's aluminum but wasn't sure. I put it (it's a 10inch strainer) along with my other SS 7inch strainer in boiling water to sterilize it for about 30 minutes, and when I went to use it to strain my wort I noticed all this patchy discoloration on it.

Is this normal or should I be concerned about it since I strained my wort with it?

Off topic but thanks for the link, I just bought the same pot. Found it for 37 bucks asked the Ol' Lady and she said "whatever". in my book that means go ahead. Now I can go all grain and not have to worry. My other brew pot has the same oxidation it is aluminum also.

Close. It's an oxidation layer that's needed,since beer/wort is acidic & can leach aluminum into the brew. And don't use starsan (acid sanitizer) in it,or abrasive cleaners. Or you'll have to season it all over again.
This is correct and acidic sterilizers like StarSan will EAT the aluminum.

Latest posts

Back