First big plunge - Stockpiling ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
Well I just finished taking a big step in buying in bulk. I do hope this pans out to be worth it because I just spent a lot in ingredients. I think I'm typing this because I have a bit of buyers remorse and could use some assurance. I tend to brew pretty neutral beers. I don't like anything too hoppy or heavy or high in ABV. In the summers I make a lot of American wheats, light siasons and blonde ales. In the cooler weather I make milds, browns and brown porter, maybe a bitter. I have a bunch of washed yeasts but was ordering my ingredients by the 5 gallon batch. I wanted to have more stuff on hand.

This is what I picked up:

50 lbs 2 row
55 lbs MO
10 lbs munich
5 lbs victory
5 crystal 40
5 crystal 80
5 Brown
5 white wheat
5 chocolate
5 pale chocolate
5 CaraPils
2 caramunich III
2 crystal 150

I'll either keep the base grains in their bags and store them in a large Rubbermaid bin or separate it out and keep then in 5 gallon buckets. The 5 pounders I bought a bunch of those tight-sealing Rubbermaid containers that you might keep breakfast cereal in.

Now I just bought hops by the pound from hopsdirect. I wanted to get me some hops that were dual purpose and would cover the different styles I might brew. I picked up one pound each of:

Citra (I do like to dry hop my summer ales with this stuff)
Fuggles
Brewers Gold
Saaz

Now that I'm thinking of it. I probably need to buy one of those damn vacuum sealers now?

Oh, and I think my old fridge/kegerator just crapped out.

Looks good to me. You'll love having the ability to brew at anytime. Your going to need more wheat if you brew a lot of wheat beers. Maybe a little more chocolate malt than I would keep on hand but not really a big deal.

How often do you brew?

I have 2 taps and 3 kegs right now. I try to keep the 3rd keg loaded and ready to carb when one beer kicks. Since it takes me about 3-4 weeks to empty a keg, I brew once a month generally. Basically enough to always have one ready to go as I platoon between the 3 kegs.

Yes, I will need more wheat and probably some flaked wheat too.

That's about how often I brew too. I'd say you got an excellent base there. Whenever I buy specialty grains for a batch I always by an extra pound or two as well to keep my grain selection interesting too.

Will grains go stale? I have some that are from BMW from about 15 months ago.

Depends on who you ask. I'm sure that some would say that you will be better off fresh. I wouldn't. I have done back to back batches with 1 year (or more) old grain vs fresh with no noticeable impact on flavor or gravity points.

I would just advise to keep it sealed and away from humidity, and as long as it isn't funky, you are probably OK. Also, don't forget you can always chew on some to make sure it hasn't gone rancid.

Unmilled grains won't go bad. If they get damp, you'll have mold.

I keep a lot of specialty grains. I probably have grains that are 4 or 5 years old. I always nibble a few when I use an old grain, and I've never noticed any issue with them.

If it makes you feel any better, I have 300-400lbs of grain sitting in my basement and am expecting 15+ pounds of hops to come in at my LHBS next week:)
It really is a money saver in the long run though. You easily have the makings of 12-15 beers there ....... That would have cost you a good bit more if you were buying grain by the pound and hops by the ounce. Another big money saver is using yeast in multiple batches.

I buy sacks of 2row, pilsner, munich and maris otter. I usually look to split a sack of wheat with a person or two. I keep 1-3lbs of about 30 specialty grains on hand as well.

Looks like you have a good start with your stockpile to me.

Unmilled grains won't go bad.

I'm not sure where you came up with that. The term used in brewing is "slack". Diastatic activity is reduced in malt stored longer than 12 months under ideal conditions. Two years is about the limit for use under ideal conditions. After that length of time a thing called aflotoxin can be created. Old malt will lower pH too drastically. It might be best used as bird feed if it is 4 or 5 years old. If a fresh product is to be the end result, fresh ingredients might be the best choice. Weyermann stamps a use by date on their higher end grain.

Thanks. How do folks store their hops after you open a 1 pound bag? I was thinking of vacuum sealing them in 1 oz bags. If you just put them in ziplocks, wouldn't they lose flavor quickly and/or get freezer burn?

Thanks. How do folks store their hops after you open a 1 pound bag? I was thinking of vacuum sealing them in 1 oz bags. If you just put them in ziplocks, wouldn't they lose flavor quickly and/or get freezer burn?

I used to vac seal in bags.... but I found they leaked or got holes in them over the course of the year. Now, when I open a bag I put the left over in a quart mason jar and use the vacuum lid sealer that comes with food saver. Sucks the air out, seals the lid. Then just open and reseal whenever I need them.

hops.jpg

I vac seal my hops and put my grain in a 55 gallon air tight container. I separate my specialty grains in Ziploc bags

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Unmilled grains won't go bad.

I'm not sure where you came up with that. The term used in brewing is "slack". Diastatic activity is reduced in malt stored longer than 12 months under ideal conditions. Two years is about the limit for use under ideal conditions. After that length of time a thing called aflotoxin can be created. Old malt will lower pH too drastically. It might be best used as bird feed if it is 4 or 5 years old. If a fresh product is to be the end result, fresh ingredients might be the best choice. Weyermann stamps a use by date on their higher end grain.

In my experience, the grain is useful for many years.

I've heard that diastatic power is reduced. Hasn't affected me. I suppose if I saved the base malt for a long time I might see some effect, but I sure haven't with the specialty grains. Some of these bins probably haven't been emptied in 5 years.

grain_closet_1-39406.jpg

I buy 2-3 sacks in group buys once or twice a year. I store the grain in food grade buckets with gamma seal lids. Adjunct is bought by the pound at the LHBS and stored in a spare bucket.

It really depends on how often you use those particular hops. I packaged mine in 1oz for bittering and 2oz for generic. That way I could grab 3 pouches for 1 batch, open and dump them in at the correct times and not worry about having to weigh them on brew day.

This is the 11 carton they come in, then I cut it in 1lb bags or 8 oz bags. everything is stored in the freezer and if I open it I use it (this brew day or the next) OP start looking for the next local group buy, it's a fun way to meet other brewers and get a great deal at the same time,

Back