First "Big Beer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

placated

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forums but I've already learned a ton reading the sage advice doled out on a daily basis.

I'm about to embark on my first on my 'big' brew and I have some questions I thought I would run by you guys.

I'm going to do the Houblonmonstre Tripel kit from Northern Brewer.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/houblonmonstre-tripel-ipa-extract-kit.html

I purchased a smackpack of Wyeast 3522 to use with this kit. I plan on making a 2L starter due to the 1.085+ OG

My main issue with the whole scenereo is the area I ferment my beer is ~62-63F. This yeast has a temp range of 65-76F, and I've read that people seem to have better success with this strain in the upper end of the temp range. I have a brewbelt I can use that raises the fermentation temp in the bucket to about 72F. The only issue is I can only use the brewbelt per the instructions for 8 days in a row for some reason.

My plan was to let the beer ferment slightly cool for 3-4 days then use the brewbelt to push it up into the 70s for the remainder of the 14-ish days before racking to secondary. Does anyone see a problem with this approach, or have any general recommendations?

If your ambient is 62-63, your fermentation is a few degrees higher. I would ferment there for a few days, as you said, then hit it with the brewbelt. If you jump it one degree a day for 8 days, I imagine you'll have hit FG.

I'm new to brewing Belgians myself, but am pretty sure you're headed in the right direction pitching in the 60s and raising the temps to the 70s.

You can always wrap the fermenter in a few towels or blankets to keep temps up. I agree with cyclman - if you're ambient room temps are 62, you'll have no problem fermenting a few degrees higher. Beer temps are always a few degrees higher than room temps while fermentation is active.

Just a quick follow up on this. The beer turned out pretty fantastic. 2L starter - I let it ferment at 62 for about 3 days then hit it with a brewbelt on a xmas light timer for 2 hrs/on/off which kept the ferm temp around 67 for about a week. Then i let er rip with the brewbelt constant and it pushed it up to about 74 for about another week. Attenuated down to a perfect FG.

That Wyeast 3522 is good stuff. It gives you Belgian flavor without a lot of the overpowering Belgian "funkyness". Was very user-friendly.

Back