First BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miyoshinum5

Reaction score
So with my fifth extract batch fermenting away and some pushing from my cousin I bought a 42 quart pot and propane burner to start brewing all grain. I wanted something simple for my first so I'm thinking about doing a Maris Otter/Centennial SMaSH. After some research I think I settled on a recipe:
12 lbs Maris Otter
1 oz Centennial @ 60
1 oz Centennial @ 15
1 oz Centennial @ 0
1 oz Centennial dry hop

I think I understand the process pretty well, but I need some help. I'm not sure what temperature to mash at. From what I've seen I'm thinking 154 for 70 minutes with a mash out at 170 for 20 minutes, does that sound right? Also any advice about grains and hops would be appreciated.

Get your grains double crushed if you don't have your own mill. It will help with your extraction efficiency. A mashout is not really necessary with BIAB, but won't hurt anything either. Your pot is big enough for a full volume mash, so no sparge is required. For your first BIAB, doing full volume will keep things a little simpler. Make sure you stir the grains well prior to pulling the bag at end of mash. 154 mash for 60 or 70 minutes should work fine. Have fun.

Brew on :mug:

And have some extract handy in case your efficiency is low. It took me several batches before I had good conversion.

Be sure you have enough water in that kettle. You'd be surprised how much is soaked up by those grains and/or lost to evaporation. I did a 1-gallon all-grain batch a few weeks ago (my first ever) and started with 1.75 gallons water and ended with .75 gallons of wort and had to top up.

Oops forgot to respond sorry...
Thanks for the tips! I haven't been able to brew yet, but I appreciate all the help. Hopefully I'll be able to brew within the next few weeks.
I was wondering does anyone have a grain or hops they like best?

Depending om what you're looking for, I would suggest sticking to a recipe on here with good revies before messing around with grains or hops. Just my opinion, I wouldn't want to change process on a new recipe at the same time.

For temps and brew day volumes check out my calculator at pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc and you should hit your temp and volume dead on once you learn your boil off rate.

Oops forgot to respond sorry...
Thanks for the tips! I haven't been able to brew yet, but I appreciate all the help. Hopefully I'll be able to brew within the next few weeks.
I was wondering does anyone have a grain or hops they like best?

What you have listed should make a tasty beer.

So with my fifth extract batch fermenting away and some pushing from my cousin I bought a 42 quart pot and propane burner to start brewing all grain. I wanted something simple for my first so I'm thinking about doing a Maris Otter/Centennial SMaSH. After some research I think I settled on a recipe:
12 lbs Maris Otter
1 oz Centennial @ 60
1 oz Centennial @ 15
1 oz Centennial @ 0
1 oz Centennial dry hop

I think I understand the process pretty well, but I need some help. I'm not sure what temperature to mash at. From what I've seen I'm thinking 154 for 70 minutes with a mash out at 170 for 20 minutes, does that sound right? Also any advice about grains and hops would be appreciated.

Increase your 0 min to 1.5 Ounces and your Dryhop to 2 Ounces. That'll make it even better.

Back