First Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d510addict

Reaction score
Well I have decided for simplicity and learning brewing technique and learning flavors of different malts that I will make my first beer a SMaSH.

I don't have the money to buy more equipment so I'm going to use what I have which forces me to make a 3 gallon batch. So using beer calculus I made a recipe that looks like this:

7.00lbs Vienna Malt
1.5 oz Cascade hops added in equal portions at 60 30 and 10 minutes

BC gives me a starting gravity reading of 1.056 and an FG of 1.014 with IBU's of 32. (according to the site this is basically an APA which I think would be good.

My question is will this ferment out to 1.014 or there abouts assuming I hit the 70% efficiency mark? Or will I have to cool crash it? I ask this because I will be bottling and want to use priming sugar to bottle carb and condition the beer and have no way to keg.

Whats the trick to calculating boil off rate, cause I want 3 gallons post boil so I assumed that there would be 1 gallon boil off in a 1 hour boil. Then I got lost with the 1st runnings and 2nd running numbers.

I figured it out but, its saying I need a .77 gallon mash infusion. Can I just add that amount and have 2.87 gallons of mash water for my 7 lbs of grains, or do I need to stick to the 1.2 quarts of water to 1 lbs of grain ratio then add the mash infusion after my 60 min mash then collect my 1st runnings?

You can go up to 2 quarts of water per pound of grain. A thinner mash will be fine, if you need the volume. I'm not sure what you're asking, though.

I'd do this:

Mash in with 10.5 quarts of water (that's 1.5 quarts/pound). You should get out a hair under 2 gallons of first runnings. Then sparge with 2.50 gallons (split into two additions), until you get about 4.5 gallons. That should give a finished batch of around 3 gallons, depending on how much you boil off.

Back