First beer, flat beer..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTedd

Reaction score
Hi, I did my first batch a few weeks ago. Newkie Brown kit and 1kg of brewing sugar from wilkos. I've left this in primary for 10 days. Took readings and it wasnt fermenting anymore. Bottled it with 1/2 spoon of brewing sugar. 2 weeks later after being left at room temp (20c) I opened one to try.. tasted very flat and tea like :D.. slight carbonation when I opened it.

Ok my worries are..

- heat. Initially it was fermenting very well then nothing for 7 days or so..

- didnt have an airlock for this brew so left the lid slightly ajar.

Ive considered buying a large bucket to sit the fermentaton bucket in and then dropping a fish tank thermostat into the surrounding water.. this will ramp the heat up to about 22c from 20c or so. IF this a good method is a large PLASTIC mixing bucket ok?? or do I need something else to withstand warmth.

Cheers guys, any help greatly appreciated.

btw. my second brew of coopers beer has had the thermostat on.. hopefully this will make a difference and wont be oxygenated.. if thats the reason for the first batch ofcourse.

I will also be doing the brew to 20 ltrs rather than 23 ltrs next time too.. ABV will be better.

Mark. :rockin:

I'm not sure how many grams of sugar is in 1/2 spoon. Could have been to little priming sugar for good carbonation.
If the OG was over 1.052 time may be a factor. Bottle conditioning for higher gravity beers will take longer. Ideal conditioning temperature is about 22°C. Two to three weeks of time for low OG beers. Chill the bottles for a few days to force the CO2 into solution.

Lid being ajar created no problems.

What was your final gravity?

If you really used half a SPOON then you definitely did not add enough priming sugar. Where did you get that idea from? Most sources say to use 3/4 cup priming sugar or roughly 5 oz.

Now that it's all bottled it's tough to say. They won't get more carbonated with time, honestly you should probably consider carbonation drops and open each bottle up, keep the drops as clean as possible and put 1-2 in each bottle and re cap them.

Let them have 2 weeks to carbonate at the same temp you fermented at. And then 1 week in the fridge before opening.

- ISM NRP

I took OP as meaning 1/2 spoon per bottle. If it was for the batch then definitely not enough for 23 litres.

Back