First beer ever problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oifvet0708

Reaction score
So I brewed my first beer. Everything went great. Hit OG almost dead on. Fermenting stayed really going good with airlock bubbling away at a rate of 5-6 bubbles a second on Sunday morning. ......

Well today I realized I have had it in a room that is too warm. I thought it was supposed to be between 72-78 as that's the last thing in the directions anything was mentioned about temps fire the yeast. I carefully( very) moved it to a cooler room. I have been told what to expect but I'm looking for more thoughts. I'm pissed at myself and the directions for not specifying this.

First off, dont worry. You will end up with beer. 72-78 is warmer than is best for most beers, but it isn't that crazy. You will probably end up with some more esters and a quicker fermentation.

What is your recipe and what yeast did you use? Did you record the temp of the fermentation (with a stuck on thermometer for instance) or just the temp of the room?

what style beer is it? what yeast did you use?

depending on the answers, you might have some fusel alcohols and maybe some esters and it might work out well for the beer.

check out a search on the forums for swamp coolers. they rock if you don't have a fridge for permanent temp controlling.

I didn't record my wort temp at yeast pitch. I used white Labs American hefeweizen Ale wlp320, its attenuation is 75 from what I researched. The brew is from Austin home brew and it's the Texas Honey Hefeweizen. I won't mind some of fruit flavor I guess but I just how is not ruined.

It wad prong on the stick on liquid crystal thermometer that made me nituce I was wrong. I was the Ale temp range indicator on it. I don't have time tonight to sey up a Swamp cooler to move it into but I can make one. It's been fermenting since Sunday morning staircase the bet Saturday so technically it started then

Yea, its not ruined. It will probably taste a little more like the continental wheat beers instead of the american wheat you were aiming for.

I went ahead and made the Swamp cooler. Had a large plastic tub to put the pail in and put child's tap water in up to the 4 gallon Mark as not to float the beer. Tap water temp was 55° I'll pull it out in am and check temp.

I went ahead and made the Swamp cooler. Had a large plastic tub to put the pail in and put child's tap water in up to the 4 gallon Mark as not to float the beer. Tap water temp was 55° I'll pull it out in am and check temp.

you'll be fine. a hefe brewed hot will get more banana esters, but that's exactly the way I like them. I do all my hefe's at 72-74 and they turn out really good.

I checked the temp on the stick on thermometer and beer is down to 64/65° snd had stayed the all day. Bubbles have still stayed quite slow. Have to time them if needed. I'm hoping I saved it??

I don't think that's hot enough to produce a significant amount of fusel alcohol so you should be fine.

It say at the warmer temps for 2 days. And will be at the 64° TEMP for a week and a half at least

I brewed a Hefeweizen for my first 5 gallon batch back in September, and experienced the same thing (I'm on my 3rd batch now, so I'm also a newbie). I took it all the way through, bottled, conditioned, and chilled it. It tasted great. My daughter liked it a lot and she spent 12 months in Heidelberg Germany. She commented that it was just like she remembered from her stay. I still have 3 bottles, and I'm slowly enjoying them. Relax, don't worry.

I checked SG this morning. Im resding this as 1.020. Recipe calls for FG of 1.010. Did I read this right and. Im ketting it sit another week.

ForumRunner_20131116_103117.png

Looks like 1.020 to me. Maybe 1.022. Is this an all extract batch? You may have mentioned it already, but I did a quick scan through this thread and didn't notice. It is not at all uncommon for an all extract batch to finish higher than expected.

My lemon lime heffe was warm brewed. Unintentional but noticed it when I got smacked in the face with banana flavors. When you give it to people don't tell them about the bananas see of they can "find" it. Also if you want to avoid tasting a lot of the banana drink the beer from a frosty mug.

Latest posts

Back