First Batch Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorts

Reaction score
Finally tasted my first batch of Brewer's Best IPA after 3 total weeks fermenting and 3 weeks in the bottle. I let the bottle chill for 5 days in the refrigerator. The beer had a nice head and good carbonation. It also had a nice amber color but fairly cloudy. Unfortunately it has a slight aroma of cooking sherry and a bit of a wet cardboard aftertaste. I'm guessing my beer was oxidized. Is it possible it is an infected batch. Should I continue to age the remaining bottles and try them a month or so later? Appreciate the feedback!

My first batch tasted pretty bad too... LOL I kept telling myself "I think I could get used to this!" but it was awful!

Ya have to stick with it through many batches to learn the process though. The repetition will help you become consistent. Oh, and keep reading up on the process! Once you commit all the steps in brewing a batch to long term memory then you can really focus on being accurate all along the way ( ;

The "cooking sherry" taste is most likely a fusel alcohol from high fermentation temps.
What yeast? And what temperature did most of your early fermentation take place at?

The "wet cardboard" taste is surely a little oxidation.

Give it more time in the bottle and the fusel flavor will mellow but the oxidation will most likely not.

Sorry about the oxidized beer. It really blows when you wait 6+ weeks for a beer and then are unhappy with the results. That being said, 9 times out of 10, a week or more in the bottle will help. Will it ever become a great beer? Probably not, but if nothing else, you learned a lot and hopefully had fun. Watch those fermentation temps best of luck on your next brew. If nothing else, get some more brews going and/or brew your second batch and then you can use the 1st batch beer for those late nights when your taste buds aren't quite up to par, but you still want to keep your buzz going. I have a batch like that right now. I don't love each sip, but it serves its purpose. I figure, as long as I have fun and learn something each time I brew, it's worth while.

Thanks for the replies guys. I told myself I wasn't going to get upset if the first batch didn't come out good. I am kinda disappointed though. I definitely had fun doing it though.

Since then I've done another partial extract batch and an all grain batch. I have a temperature strip on my fermentor and the second batch started in the fermenter around 63 F. It was the first batch I dry hopped so I racked it to a secondary where it's been around 70 F. I'm a bit concerned about my next 2 batches now since I don't really have any way to control the fermentor temp. Any suggestions?

Post a pic. Would still be nice to see the result!

Just remember, for better or worse, you made beer!

How awesome is that?!?!

I won't sugar coat it- oxidized beer won't heal and your batch won't recover. No big deal, just minimize the cold side aeration in the future. Did you taste the beer at any steps in the process besides after bottling?
I would continue tasting the bottles over time as a learning experience. Kyle

jwalk - I will post a pic next time I pour one from that batch. It probably won’t be for at least a few weeks though. I’m glad I made some beer and there were some positive qualities too it. Like I said, I told myself I wasn’t going to get upset if my first batch didn’t necessarily turn out well. I currently have 2 batches going. My second batch was another partial extract that is currently sitting on some dry hops in the secondary. The process definitely went a lot smoother the second time. I also have a third, but first AG batch in my primary right now.

Conan - I appreciate your honesty and I’m not looking to be patted on the back here. I’m glad you guys are telling me like it is. Can I ask exactly what you mean by coldside aeration? Is this basically an aeration at all after the initial aeration step before you pitch your yeast? I will continue to taste the bottles. I’m going to wait another 4-6 weeks before opening another from my first batch.

Brewkinger mentioned earlier that the sherry taste is probably a result of too high fermentation temps. I am a bit concerned because right now I have 2 batches fermenting (1 in secondary, 1 in primary) and the current fermentation temps are 70F. Is that too high, and will my next batches likely have enough fusel alcohols to make my beer smell/taste like sherry?

Thanks again for the help guys!

Look up swamp coolers online and you'll find cheap and easy ways to keep your ferm temps in the target ranges. Usually in the winter, home brewers have a problem keeping their ales WARM enough, so I'm a little surprised you still have to keep temps down. Do you have a basement that is cooler that would help?

Jorts, I've made the same mistake on fermenting at too high a temp. I've got FOUR batches that have probably been affected before I figured out what I did (well, before the guys here told me). That sherry/alcohol-y taste is still there in my earliest batch but it's either fading or my taste buds just don't give a damn any more, because I can't taste it as much. Probably all in my head, but it's beer!

Look for a cheap fridge or freezer on craigslist and put a controller on it. I bought both my fridge and my freezer for $50 each. You can make a controller cheaply with the STC-100 (controller $20, box $10, plugs $5 and wire and plug $4—OR you can steal an old PC power cord and use that. If you are anything like me, I have about fifty in the house), OR, if that is too scary, buy a RANCO from amazon (RANCO ETC-111000 Digital Cold Temperature Control NEW) for $53. While the RANCO is a single stage--that means it only heats or cools in one direction (you have to manually set it to go the other way). This really isn't a problem with a chest freezer. You either set it on heat and place a heat source in it during the winter and let the weather cool it, or plug the freezer in during the summer and let nature warm it. Either way, you have a temperature controlled fermenter for about $100. It might seem pricey at first, but after two or three bad batches of beer, it will pay for itself. Furthermore, there is nothing better than walking past your chamber every morning and seeing the controller read 64F and knowing that your fermenting beer is safe.

Oxidation usually shows up much later than the 3 weeks you had your beer bottled so I doubt that is what you are tasting. You'd have to really try to get enough oxygen in there to notice it that soon so I think you are mistaking another flavor for oxidation.

Temperature control is only needed for the first 3 or 4 days as the yeast rips through the easy sugars. Fermented too warm, the yeast can rip through those sugars in a couple days and then they throw off some bad flavors and fusel alcohol. As mentioned above, swamp coolers will work for you for that short period that the fermenter needs to be cooled and that can be a very cheap solution.

You're correct, any aeration after the yeast has done it's thing can cause oxidation. Try to minimize splashing and you'll be fine. Brew on! Kyle

I do recall the bottling process taking long. Is it possible that the exposure to oxygen during the bottling process could be a source of the off tastes as well?

I'll definitely be looking into a swamp cooler. Fingers crossed the next 2 batches taste good. I'll let you guys know how they come out.

Someone asked for a pic of the beer I poured so here it is.

IMG_0328.jpg

I do recall the bottling process taking long. Is it possible that the exposure to oxygen during the bottling process could be a source of the off tastes as well?

I'll definitely be looking into a swamp cooler. Fingers crossed the next 2 batches taste good. I'll let you guys know how they come out.

IMO drink the first batch with this in mind, Its not THAT BAD next batch can only get better!!!! My ferm chamber is a wood box with styrofoam lining.I have a swamp cooler for the summer and winter a heating pad wrapping ferm with blankets. Its really cheesy but works just fine. just made it from what I found at the house for free. I will eventually get a better set up.plenty of how to DIY set ups here on HBT.
The fact you have made 3 batches in this short amount of time means you have the BUG!!! just like most of us here, you might want to look into keg system, that was the first thing I did and was glad I did, most people would agree. Its way easier than messing around with bottles. good luck and read read read everything you need to know is right here!!!

cheers

Latest posts

Back