First batch tasting notes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanmartin74

Reaction score
I tasted the first bottle of my Autumn Amber Ale from Midwest after one week and so far it's really good. Maybe a little too much carbonation, but otherwise the flavors are spot on and the brew has a great nose with almost no aftertaste. I found the priming sugar calculator a few days after I'd primed and bottled and according to the calculation I'd added .5 ounce too much sugar. Will the carbonation mellow out as well over the next few weeks or is that something that doesn't change over time?

Good head...
IMAG0856.jpg

And pretty good clarity, although I think I missed the sweet spot by bottling a few days too late. Still, I'm pleased.
IMAG0858.jpg

Cheers!:mug:

Unfortunately, your beer won't get any less carbonated as time goes on. However, I have found that head-retention tends to get better with time. You'll probably notice that it will taste even better after a month or so.

Anyways, that's a good-lookin' pint!

Cheers

Congrats on a successful first batch! Looks great.

Was the carbonation high or was there just excessive foam? If the beer hadn't been chilled long enough, you get a lot of co2 coming out of solution when you pour it, resulting in a foamy beer. This does not necessarily mean it is overcarbonated. Let the beer chill for 3 days (longer is even better) next time and see if you get a different result.

Not sure how bottling "late" could give you hazy beer. Usually the longer you wait to bottle, the more stuff drops out of suspension an you have a clearer beer. You might have some chill haze though. Does the beer become clear after it warms up in the glass?

Thanks. Yeah, thought the carbonation wouldn't change. It wasn't bad at all and more than likely I was just fishing for something negative to pick at.

Not sure how bottling "late" could give you hazy beer. Usually the longer you wait to bottle, the more stuff drops out of suspension an you have a clearer beer. You might have some chill haze though. Does the beer become clear after it warms up in the glass?

The only reason that I thought I may have missed a good day to bottle was that during a series of consistent hydrometer readings; on one day in particular the clarity was PERFECT. Then two days later it was cloudy. And the pail hadn't been disturbed, so I really don't know what caused it.
And no, I didn't really notice it clear up all that much as it got warmer in the glass.

Otherwise, no negative effect on the taste, etc...just me nitpicking.

Salud!:mug:

Back