First Batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebrew66

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum and home brewing.

So, I've trolled a lot and think I have the answers from the forums. Just wanted to clarify.

Used the LHBS kit and am brewing Coopers India Pale Ale as my first batch. Actually, did a Mr. Beer kit probably 15 years ago and don’t really remember much from doing it other than it really didn’t taste all that good.

1. I started the batch this past Sunday early afternoon. Got good bubbling by 8 am Monday morning. Stopped bubbling, as best as I can tell, sometime Tuesday night after 10 pm. It's not a problem it stopped bubbling, correct?

2. To accurately see if it is ready for bottling, take two hydrometer readings a two days apart, and if they are the same it's ready?

3. When the hydrometer readings are good for bottling, I can leave it in the plastic pale for another week? From what I've read, it's actually better to let it rest in the primary fermenter for awhile. How long is too long?

4. When finished bottling, 2 weeks would be the minimum to taste and 3 to 4 weeks to have it taste better?

Just looking to clarify a few things. I’m getting eager to get this going, but from what I’ve read on these forums, taking your time is the best approach.

Thanks to all.

Sounds like you pretty much got it.

1. No problem that it stopped bubbling. Bubbles stopping doesn't mean fermentation has stopped, most likely your bucket isn't sealed 100%, so only vigorous fermentation gets up enough pressure to push bubbles.

2. I'd wait 'till about a week to take your first gravity (hydrometer) reading, since it probably won't be done fermenting before then.

3. Yes, leaving it in the primary for a week after you hit your final gravity (FG) is a good idea to let the yeast clean things up a bit.

4. 2-3 weeks and you should have nicely carbonated beer. It'll be fully carbed at 3wks, and pretty close at 2. If you can hold off 'till 2wks before cracking your first bottle from your first batch, you're doing really well.

Also, you've been "lurking" not "trolling". In interwebz speak, lurking is kinda hanging out in the background listening but not saying anything. Trolling means behaving like a troll and trying to stir up arguments, not like the fishing term trolling, which I figure you meant.

Welcome to the best hobby ever!

1: Yes. 2: Yes. 3: I wouldn't leave it more than three weeks, though some here have left beers much longer than that with no problems. 4: I always try a bottle after a week - curiosity and impatience gets the best of me. The beer will still be green then. It won't be fully carbed and the flavors will seem unbalanced, but you'll still taste the basic character of the beer. By three weeks most beers are at their plateau .

If you can wait more than a week after putting it in a bottle to sample it, you're a better man than me. I always rush the first sample just to see what I've created and then after I find out how bad it tastes "green" I wait like I'm supposed to.

Thanks guys. One of the most important things I think I may have learned is to wait. I am so anxious to bottle it and try it, but have realized to really enjoy a good homebrew is to wait a bit and really enjoy it.

Back