First batch question. (about light)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZBrewMan

Reaction score
So I've got my first batch of homebrew in the fermenter! (Amber Ale from Brewer's Best) Everything went pretty smoothly and I'm pretty hopeful about the final result. It's been 6 hours and it's beginning to ferment.

So it's really interesting watching the fermentation process and I'm wondering how careful I have to be about letting light in. I have the shades drawn and it's pretty dim inside, but do I need to keep it in total darkness to avoid off flavors?

IMG_0023.jpg

In my opinion I would cover it up to not let any light in. Light can cause off flavors (skunky) and increase fermentation temperature.

I simply put an old windbreaker I don't wear over it.

Mine stay in a cooler or under a towel until I am ready to rack to the bottling bucket. I am not sure if that's really necessary, but it certainly won't hurt the beer. Exposure to sunlight can cause skunking very rapidly, as can long-term exposure to indoor lighting (especially fluorescent lights). I'd go with the better safe than sorry approach and wrap a towel on that bad boy.

Awesome guys, thanks! Got 'er wrapped in a blanket now. It's true: Better safe than sorry. Don't wanna wait for a month for some skunked up beer.

Back