First batch of kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smeagan88

Reaction score
Hello!!

This is my first time brewing kombucha and I purchased a SCOBY online and have been fermenting my first batch since 9/2/16. I've been waiting for the baby SCOBY to fully develop, but idk when it will be okay to take it out and start a new batch with it. What should the new baby SCOBY look like when it's good to take out and start brewing with? I feel like this has taken way longer than most others I have read about.

Thank you :)

image.jpg

It varies, and a big baby doesn't always form. When it does, it will be another layer on the mother. The tea in your pic looks pretty clear and the SCOBY looks clean and happy. After 3 weeks, it's probably pretty good right now (balanced sweet and tart).

Take that SCOBY out and set it on a clean plate. Pour all but about 2 cups of that into clean jar(s). Then refill the fermenting jar with fresh sweet tea *at room temperature.* Put the SCOBY back in and recover it. It's ready to make more.

You can drink the kombucha like that or add more tea, juice, or fruit to it in the jars. Or add some in a glass when you drink it.

If it is too tart for your preference, then you know to only run it 2 weeks next time.

Looks good!

Back