First batch of cider =Geysers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmell

Reaction score
Well I made my first batch of cider ( well ssecond, first was a mr beer kit) the past week. I mixed 4 cans concentrated frozen apple juice and water to make a gallon, pitched in some red star montrachet and let it ferment until clear. Then I backsweeted with another can of concentrate and then bottled. Checked the carbonation around 9 last night and It seemed pretty Flat so I let it sit over night and then got a little side tracked this morning and just got around to checking it. Well when I poped the cap I got a pretty good geyser and only have about half a bottle left. Is there and thing I can do to save it. I only have 7 bottles left so If I have to keep it cold and drink them in the next couple days I can but I would like to know if there is anything else I can do incase it happens in the future. Right now they are out side in the snow. Thanks for any help.

From what i have read you can pop all the tops and re-cap them and then pastuerize them when the carbonation gets back up where you want it. However i have also read that once they become "Geysers" they possibly won't re-carb. Sorry i can't give first hand advice but hopefully this helps some,good luck.

Back