First Batch Observations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C2H6O

Primary
Reaction score
I brewed my first batch on Friday - all extract - and these are the following observations I made and was hoping some of you experts out there can tell me if the batch is hosed or not.

1) I had a problem with heat retention. My temp was between 206 - 210. The max. temp I achieved was 210. Not sure how critical the other 2º are with respect to the hot break. It was boiling but not aggressively - thoughts??
2) I used a nylon bag for my hop additions - so when I transferred from the kettle to the fermenter I didnt observe any trub or precipitated proteins - therefore I dumped the entire contents of the kettle into the fermenter - thoughts??
3) When I aerated the fermenter by transferring back and forth to the kettle I generated a significant foam head - is this normal??

Thanks in advance

1) RDWHAHB. Water boils at 212 F at standard pressure. It changes based on your altitude. A rolling boil is enough.

2) RDWHAHB. Extract won't have very much trub in the kettle. Whatever you missed will settle out in primary.

3) RDWHAHB. Also normal. Air in beer makes bubbles. You got air in your beer, therefore you got bubbles.

I haven't been brewing long, but the one thing I've discovered is that it is very difficult to totally hose your beer. It's incredibly resilient. So long as your sanitation is good, your beer will be good. RDWHAHB. (If the HB is a problem, substitute with a high quality craft beer of your choice-- save the bottles :D)

Back