First batch - not quite making it to predicted final gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b4k4

Reaction score
Hello All,

Had my first batch, an ESB, in the fermenter for just over 2 weeks now.

Decided to open her up today to take a gravity reading and decide whether or not to wait another week before bottling.

The recipe I got from my homebrew store had an initial gravity of 1.053 and a final of 1.010

I cant seem to find my notes with the initial gravity I got but I remember it being above 1.05 but my reading today was only around 1.018 - 1.020?

Could there be a problem here? I tasted it and it seemed pretty good, nice biterness with a kindof watery mouthfeel. Any suggestions?

I've been told it's common for some extracts to stop at 1.020 and get stuck there. Not a huge issue, but just something I've been told. I'm assuming this was an extract?

I wouldn't worry about it then, is this your first batch? Sounds like it's a common problem as I have the same issue with my American Wheat that's in primary right now. My FG is supposed to be between like 1.014 to 1.016 and it's at 1.020. I could be wrong on what my FG is supposed to be as I don't have the documents in front of me, but I'm just gonna bottle and not be concerned with it. If I had a more complex beer then maybe I'd worry a little bit more, but even then not much. As always RDWAHHB

Yeah, first batch. Got my second in for a week now and a thrid on deck :) The bit I sampled tasted pretty good as it was so I suppose I shouldn't be overly concerned. I suppose I'll let it sit another week to clarify more and then bottle her up. Thanks!

Yep, no problem, all it will do is effect your final ABV, but not by much. Eventually us noobs will figure things out and get more advanced in how we do things and then start worrying about that stuff. It's all about perfecting the basic process and moving on from there. I'm reading John Palmer's book "How to Brew" and it has a TON of great information to help us noobs on our journey. I'm planning my second brew as we speak........

Looks like the gravity is where it's going to stay, got her all bottled up and stowed away for the next two weeks. Got em in an old plastic cooler, just in case I should run into any issues with broken bottles. Can't wait to crack one open

Back