First batch is in Primary!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateKerx

Reaction score
So after months of piece together gear and reading, forgetting, and re-reading vital passages from how to brew, my first extract batch is safely tucked away in the coolest. darkest corner of my apartment! I used a b3 kit, basically 6lbs light LME .5 lbs DME, .5lbs steeped Carastan, 5 oz of Kent Goldings for around 27 IBU, and Burton Ale yeast from White Labs.

There were a couple of minor complications, no boil overs (keggle), but one small liquid malt fire. Anyways everything seems to have gone pretty well, most of the charred malt has been scrubbed from the stove and my OG rang in right around 1.045.

I'm planning on racking to secondary, there's a ton of trub in there and I'd like to brew again soon and need the primary back! Planning on using the 1-2-3 method and doing a mini-mash a week from today. I'm also trying to figure out exactly how many carboys i can stash around my apartment, keeping them all in the 67-72ish temp range. My first batch is in a swamp cooler type arrangement and I think they may all need this treatment by mid summer.

sorry everybody I know this is a little long winded, but I needed to do something besides stare at a carboy by myself.

This was my first batch, too...it's exciting, isn't it? Do you have any fermentation activity going on yet? :mug:

my next batch is going to be this kit

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18366

im not too sure what to expect from it but really wanted to do a mini mash.

congrats on your first batch junebug! I read about your stove distaster and deeply, deeply sypathize.

as for my fermentation progress, none bubbles or action of any kind so far :(
I guess its only been about 18 hours, but I really cant wait. I hope brewer's anxiety doesnt somehow contaminate beer an impede fermentation!

any luck with yours yet?

I started my first batch on Saturday evening. By the time I went to sleep 5 hours later there were already bubbles coming out of my airlock steadily, though no visable foam on the top of the beer. The next morning there was foam on top. I was supprised how quickly fermentation had started.

I had used a dry yeast that I rehydrated a while before pitching. I also pitched the yeast as soon as my 22ltrs of wort mix had dropped to the yeast's maximum temperature. I was worried I might have killed the yeast so I was very glad when I saw the bubbles a little later.

Good luck with your first batches guys! It's going to be so great when they are ready to drink!

NateKerx said:
my next batch is going to be this kit

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18366

im not too sure what to expect from it but really wanted to do a mini mash.

congrats on your first batch junebug! I read about your stove distaster and deeply, deeply sypathize.

as for my fermentation progress, none bubbles or action of any kind so far :(
I guess its only been about 18 hours, but I really cant wait. I hope brewer's anxiety doesnt somehow contaminate beer an impede fermentation!

any luck with yours yet?

Thanks for the sympathy, lol! It's been twenty-four hours and the brew is pretty darn busy...it's wild...the yeasties have created a foamy top that is constantly sort of moving around. I hope that yours kicks in soon!

I love the name of your next brew! :mug:

woooo! that must be a sight to behold, congrats!

sadly nothing still, but i killed some time making a mean starter for my next batch.

Back