First batch in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GammaRay4130

Reaction score
After countless hours of reading the forums here, watching youtube videos and other research I finally have my first brew in the fermenter, the mush mouth oatmeal stout kit from Jasper's.

Had a couple issues. A boilover when I ran inside to grab my thermometer that I forgot :drunk: while getting the wort to a boil. Also some difficulty getting all of the LME out of the bag it came in. My OG came in a bit low 1.053 vs the 1.058-1.062 the kit stated. Although I grabbed my sample before I shook the hell out of the wort for a while to aerate it so it may just not have been fully mixed. Also I pitched my yeast at 60 degrees since the wort cooled a lot faster than expected and didn't have any means to heat it since the fermenter was topped up. But after some reading it seems it may take a little longer for fermentation to begin but I should be good.

Many thanks to all of you here there is so much good information it made my first brew day a lot easier. Definitely learned a few things to tweak my process for the next brew which I will plan while this one ferments. :mug:

Congrats on your first batch! The more you brew and go through the process, the more natural it becomes. You will have more hiccups along the way.....we all do. Just remember, as long as your sanitation is good and your fermenations temps. are in range, you will produce good beer! Even as you get deeper into the hobby and start to add pieces of equipment to control various aspects of the brewing/fermenting/serving process, there are always going to be obstacles to overcome. Never stress out, just roll with the punches and it will turn out fine. Good luck and congrats! :mug:

Thanks guys. I'm excited about this first one, now its time to wait. Good thing I'm going on vacation next week so it will make the waiting easier. Already bought everything I need for my next batch, the all amarillo IPA extract recipe from the recipe database. Going to a beer festival tomorrow looking forward to trying new beers to give me ideas for future brews!

After countless hours of reading the forums here, watching youtube videos and other research I finally have my first brew in the fermenter, the mush mouth oatmeal stout kit from Jasper's.

Had a couple issues. A boilover when I ran inside to grab my thermometer that I forgot :drunk: while getting the wort to a boil. Also some difficulty getting all of the LME out of the bag it came in. My OG came in a bit low 1.053 vs the 1.058-1.062 the kit stated. Although I grabbed my sample before I shook the hell out of the wort for a while to aerate it so it may just not have been fully mixed. Also I pitched my yeast at 60 degrees since the wort cooled a lot faster than expected and didn't have any means to heat it since the fermenter was topped up. But after some reading it seems it may take a little longer for fermentation to begin but I should be good.

Many thanks to all of you here there is so much good information it made my first brew day a lot easier. Definitely learned a few things to tweak my process for the next brew which I will plan while this one ferments. :mug:

Getting a low OG when you use top off water is pretty common. It is really difficult to get a good mix. Go with the OG that was predicted and you'll be pretty close.

I try hard to get my wort down to 60 to pitch. I then try to keep the temperature of the fermentation area around 62 until the ferment slows down. That makes a clean tasting beer. Too warm will make the yeast throw off esters so you might get beer that smells of bananas or bubblegum.

A tip that came with my kit that worked very well was putting the LME bag in a warm water bath for several minutes before putting it in the boil pot. This really helped in getting almost all of the LME out of the bag.

Thanks for the tips and reassurances. I had the bag of LME in warm water for a while before I put it into the kettle, there just seemed to be some left that was hard to get out. Seems like it would be easier to get it all out with some hot water and not make a big mess with jugs of the extract instead of the bags.

My next recipe is all DME so we will see how that goes in 3-4 weeks once I bottle this batch.

Thanks guys. I'm excited about this first one, now its time to wait. Good thing I'm going on vacation next week so it will make the waiting easier. Already bought everything I need for my next batch, the all amarillo IPA extract recipe from the recipe database. Going to a beer festival tomorrow looking forward to trying new beers to give me ideas for future brews!

Sounds great.....another recipe to consider is an Amarillo Wheat IPA. I've brewed at least 10 versions in the past and finally have my keeper recipe. Just kegged 5 gallons and bottled the other 5 gallons last week. It's a citrusy hop bomb....ala Gumball Head by FFF's. :mug:

I will definitely keep that one in mind. I already have the ingredients on the way for the second brew and I keep finding all sorts of recipes I want to try. I would say the addiction has begun!

Yes it has. :mug: When I started brewing 4 years ago, I would have never thought that I would be into it this deep. Be careful, it could end up costing you a fortune! ;)

YEP; it's a great and addicting hobby; however, I do feel it is cost neutral; I can make a kick ass batch of beer equivalent to what is sold in a liquor store for $12 for a 6 pack. But it costs me maybe $30 for 6 gallons. I don't have all the bells and whistles to make it really expensive...YET!!

Sounds great.....another recipe to consider is an Amarillo Wheat IPA. I've brewed at least 10 versions in the past and finally have my keeper recipe. Just kegged 5 gallons and bottled the other 5 gallons last week. It's a citrusy hop bomb....ala Gumball Head by FFF's. :mug:

Right on! I got my version of this too, but as a Wheat/Rye Pale. Gumball Head is great and it sells out quickly here in the Indy area. I use a lot of the Amarillo, but got to admit I can't just stop there. Love the aroma hops give off!

Just a little update:

After a little over 2 weeks in the fermenter I just checked the gravity. It is at 1.020 right now where I hear extract brews tend to stop at times. I am going to check again in a few days and see where the reading is at, if its the same I will go ahead and bottle it this week.

I had to try my sample and it tasted pretty good, although maybe a little bland. Once it is carbed up and has some more time to mature I am sure it will get better. Again many thanks to this forum I cant stop reading and trying to learn.

Latest posts

Back