First batch done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neckbone

Reaction score
Well, not truly my first batch, I did do a Mr. Beer, but I don't count that.

Got a Williams American IPA for Christmas. Brewed, fermented, bottled. Last night was 12 days since bottling, so I had a couple. Not bad. I would consider them perfectly carbonated, and had a great head on them. They seem a little heavy. Like it's thicker than store bought. Is this normal?

Now, I just have to get another kit and get it in the fermenter. I'm betting I'll run out before my next batch is ready to drink. Well, not all is lost. I still need a case or two more of good bottles, so I'll just get some Sam Adams and drink that down.

This hobby is alot of fun, and a he!! of alot cheaper than most.

Well, congrats on your first brew, REAL brew! What was the OG and the FG of this brew? Was it a little heavier than normal when it went into the bottle? Guess what, who cares, you like it, that is what matters.

Brewpilot

Congrats.

Ya, the hobby seems cheap at first - then you start wanting a bigger pot or a keggle - the there are stir plates stainless fermenters, plate chillers, grain mills, pump systems, kegging equipment and LOTS of other stuff.

Well done.

You just learnt one of the ten commandments of homebrew.

Brew more.:D

1 - Read
2 - Sanitise
3 - Sugar bad!
4 - Use a hydrometer
5 - Be patient
6 - RDWHAHB
7 - Brew more
8 - Read more
9 - Relax more
10- Brew more

FG was what they said it should be. I think it was 1.022, maybe? Didn't check the SG. Was too worried about getting it in the fermenter w/out contamination.

I'm already looking into the future to at least another 2-3 5 gal fermentors. I'd love to get a 15 gal in a year or two. Luckily, I have plenty of brave friends and a brother to help dispose of the finished product properly. Now if only I can get that garage.

Back