First batch bottled!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwb124

Reaction score
My Brewer's best Red Ale kit was just bottled, and I think everything went very well. Smells very much like good beer, so I think I'm in good shape. I racked from secondary to bottling bucket with spigot, put it over the dishwasher and used the dishwasher to dry and bottle after sanitizing.

I used a mixture of 16 22oz bottles and 20 12oz bottles. I was about 40oz short of exactly 5 gallons, but hey close enough for me. Made me a little sad to see 2 of the 22oz bottles lonely and without beer, but them's the breaks. I got a little taste of my warm flat beer and I can tell it's going to be good. Good taste and hoppy already, so I'm excited.

I really prefer a mixture of 22oz and 12oz bottles to mix it up. Makes it a little easier to clean and bottle, and you have a couple six packs to share with people. I had a 1gal growler but I think I'll use that on the next batch, which will be a Brewer's Best Oktoberfest. I plan on boiling it up tomorrow before the Super Bowl.

My patience will not be tested because I have a case of various Northwest micro brews to go through so I will have my first taste in 3 weeks exactly.

I too like to bottle about 1/2 and 1/2. The bombers are nice if your at home and want to have a beer, and the 12oz bottles are good to take to friends houses and the like. As to the growler, it won't seal well enough to actually bottle in. I like to use them to make starters.

Back