First batch bottled - Things I learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
My first batch of beer is bottled, a blackberry wheat. because I am a noob I made it 3 times harder than it needed to be. Overall, because I was using a Brewers Best kit it was all pretty simple. But there was lots of room for improvement in my process and organization. I can definitely see that after I have 4 or 5 batches under my belt that this should be a lot easier, and a lot more fun. So, I made a list of thing I am going to do differently when I brew my second batch later tonight.

Brewing:

1) Boil my 2nd 2.5 gallons of water ahead of time. My first time I didn't boil and cool the 2nd 2.5 gallons of water until the recipe asked for it.

2) Sanitize everything at one time in my extra 5 gallon bucket. Last time I did everything separately in a little bowl.

3) Use a wort chiller. Last time I put my big pot in my little sink and had problems with cooling and splashing. Oh yeah, it was at that point I realized that my teenage son had used all the ice too.

4) Use a real timer, not the wall clock. Several times during the boil process I zoned out and was late for scheduled steps.

5) Use the test tube for the hydrometer. Last time I just dropped the hydrometer in the bucket and I had a hard time reading it due to lots of foam and bad eye sight.

6) Start my yeast. I just threw the dry yeast in my bucket last time and then it all clumped up and required a lot of vigorous stirring to get it blended in.

7) Skip the bucket. Last time I cooled wort and pitched the yeast in a separate bucket prior to racking into the fermenter. This time I will do everything in the brew pot and then go straight to the fermenter.

Bottling:

Sanitize the bottles and caps first. Today when I was bottling I moved the beer into the bottling bucket and sugar before I sanitized my bottles and caps.

17874_292190564393_852774393_3186795_6002679_n.jpg

Sanitize everything at one time in my extra 5 gallon bucket. Last time I did everything separately in a little bowl.

I agree - I used my very clean and sanitized sink ( both sides) to keep things super clean. I filled each side w/ about two gallons water and added 2 tsp bleach to each side.

Wort chiller? Absolutely - I tried a bathtub full of ice water, and stirred and stirred for 30 minutes, where my wort dropped from 212 to 90 degrees in that same time. Just a bit cooler - and faster - would have prevented my first batch from being cloudy. At least, I suspect thats the case?

Until you really, really have your process down, I recommend cleaning and sanitizing everything before you start heating any water. Get all your ducks in a row first.

Eric

Those are some good lessons to learn. I learned a pretty good one this weekend to. I was using a burner my dad borrowed me for the first time and I ended up boiling off a lot more water than I thought I would. I'll probably start with more water next time as my wort got really concentrated.

Plus, I started my yeast a few hours a head of time, but I think I could totally get by with the night before. Its always good to have a load of yeasts ready to go.

It was kind of crazy for the 5th time. I thought I had my stuff together more. Read more if you like.

Mike's Brew Review "Homebrewing - The Fifth Experiment"

Back