First batch about ready to drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjanderson

Reaction score
Is there any tricks to chilling a HB for drinking? Just put it in the fridge until it's cold enough to drink?

Or is there any benefit to letting it chill and rest for a while? A few days? A week? Longer?

Just sitting here at work thinking about my brew at home :)

How long since you bottled? There is really no advantage to letting it chill in the fridge for a long time that you don't get by aging it in your basement.

It's been in the bottle for about 2 weeks. I'm not planning to drink it all, I'll leave most of it to age for another couple of weeks.

There are some advantages to chilling it for a few days before drinking - the biggest one being that more CO2 will get absorbed into the beer, and more evenly. You'll usually get a better head on the beer. Also chill haze will usually be reduced after a week or more in the fridge, and the beer will be clearer. More cold time also compacts the sediment on the bottom of the bottle, making it easier to leave behind when pouring.

I don't do it all the time, but I notice the difference when I do. When I'm tasting the first one from a batch, I usually just give it an overnight chill but once I've decided they're ready, I'll pop 12 or more of them in there, and rotate out and drink the ones that have been in the longest.

There are some advantages to chilling it for a few days before drinking - the biggest one being that more CO2 will get absorbed into the beer, and more evenly. You'll usually get a better head on the beer. Also chill haze will usually be reduced after a week or more in the fridge, and the beer will be clearer. More cold time also compacts the sediment on the bottom of the bottle, making it easier to leave behind when pouring.

I don't do it all the time, but I notice the difference when I do. When I'm tasting the first one from a batch, I usually just give it an overnight chill but once I've decided they're ready, I'll pop 12 or more of them in there, and rotate out and drink the ones that have been in the longest.

+1, I'd claim that post

Thanks, I seemed to recall reading that being chilled for a while had some benefits but couldn't remember where I read it or what would be helped.

I don't chill at all - drink at room temp. I think you get better flavor. Now I don't even like chilled beer when I go out.

Thanks, I seemed to recall reading that being chilled for a while had some benefits but couldn't remember where I read it or what would be helped.

I usually leave mine at room temp until carbed and then move them to the fridge.I've noticed that after 10-14 days in the fridge they can change significantly.One that had an alcohol taste took about a month but that went away.Hoppier ones mellow drastically,maltier ones get maltier.You should try them at different stages until you get a feel for your particular timeline for best quality.When it tastes good drink it!:drunk:

Back