First Barleywine in progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyB

Reaction score
Made a 4-gal variation of the 090909 Barleywine last Friday. My 3rd all-grain, and first barleywine. Small grain tweaking, and some hops substitutions. Bubbling strong since Saturday.

Ended up quite happy with my mashing results. I had the recipe in Beersmith set at 61% efficiency (no, I wasn't planning on much). Started the mash at 151, finished at 148 after 60 minutes. Stiring brought the temp at the probe back to 150, so not all bad. (I use a home-built copper tube thermowell)

6.75 gal into the kettle, 105 minute boil, 4-gal out.
SG - 1.117, right on target. Then I realized I had actually forgotten the 1lb of table sugar. Did the calculations and my efficiency was 68% and change.
Sure, it's not 80-85%, but I'll live with it!

Now if I can get it bottled and stay out of it until Christmas......
Better get something else going for summer drinking before my fizzy yellow beer supply runs out.

Great job with the Barley wine. The 999 Was my second all grain batch and I took 1st with it at a regional contest.

Don't worry about your efficiency. Your better off having it around 70 to 75% max. You will get better flavor and tastier end product then pushing it up to 80 and beyond. I know this because I made great beers at 82% efficiency and once I lowered it to 70% my beers became exemplary.

Back