First attempt at dusseldorf altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistFM

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I am wanting to create a dusseldorf altbier ale for October and I found this recipe in another thread.

Dusseldorf Altbier
8 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.4 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 17.6 %
13.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 7.1 %
7.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
2.0 oz Pale Chocolate (200.0 SRM) Grain 1.1 %
24.10gm Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 48.4 IBU
28.35gm Select Spalt [4.80%] (15 min) Hops 5.2 IBU

1 Pkgs German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale
Mash 150F

When I plug that into beersmith it says my IBUs will be 3.3??? I'm confused, there's no way it will be that low, and I know that the altbier style itself is supposed to be smooth but slightly hoppy. Just wondering if anyone knows what's going on and if they have any suggestions/ideas for a dusseldorf altbier. Thanks! :mug:

I would double check to make sure you have the hop use selected as "Boil" - not aroma or mash. The only suggestion I would have would be to not use Magnum. IMHO, Magnum is very harsh and would be to distracting from the background malt of an alt. I would be more inclined to use a noble hop. Otherwise, the recipe looks pretty good.

I don't find Magnum harsh at all, and is generally considered a pretty neutral-flavored, smooth, bittering hop. I think the recipe looks good. I would aim for around 40 IBUs. Alts are supposed to be bitter, and malty at the same time. This is achieved by using a light touch when it comes to flavor, and especially aroma hops - which you have at none. This helps to keep the beer pretty clean and crisp.

Back