First attempt at adjusting water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsvarney5

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently started diving into the world of water. I've begun trolling the forums and am about to get into Palmer's book on water from the new Brewing Element Series. With that in mind, I'll be brewing a Belgian Wit this weekend and want to be dialed in from a water perspective. Being that I havent learned a whole lot yet, I was hoping to rely on a little help adjusting my water profile. I typically use 2 5 gallon jugs of Zephyrhills spring water to brew with. I've done a little research and have found a water report on Zephyrhills showing the following breakdown.

Ca: 58
Mg: 4
Na: 5
Cl: 11
SO4: 8
HCO: 140

Based on some research, I'm looking for a profile that looks like this for my Wit.

Ca: 62
Mg: 12
Na:17
Cl: 49
SO4: 88
HCO: 8

What suggestions would you have on adjusting it to match the ideal profile? My concern is the alkalinity is way too high for such a light colored beer. How would I attempt to bring this down. I live in Jacksonville, FL and the water is very hard here so that would be an issue if I was using my tap water through a filter as well.

First, does my idea Wit profile look to be decent and secondly, how would I attempt getting close to it based on where I am now. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back