First all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyKoby

Reaction score
This is my first all grain brew! I am brewing an Ipa, calling it Wallipa.

My fist brew stool trying to get organized and all set up. My mash tun has a small leak in it. Which sucks. It didn't when I tested it!

1396721583770.jpg

I am brewing inside, but there is a door to the right of the picture that is wide open. Letting fresh air in.

Looks good man! here's a little trick to help you hit your mash temps. Heat your strike water about 10 degrees above your strike temp and then pour it into your mash tun. This will preheat the MT for you and and you will probably lose about 7 degrees or so from the kettle to the MT anyway. Stir the water until your water hits your strike temp, add your grains, and hit your mash temp. Have fun boss!

Well, I am all done, it only took about 9hrs to complete with clean up. Next time will be a lot different, a few things to change! But all is good I am excited to taste it. It seems like it was a long time to brew, but it was my first time with all grain and on my own.

My first all grain took about 8 hrs so I feel your pain. Hoping the false bottom I invested in will knock about 2 hrs off my total time.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

What kind of mash tun did you have? And what is your new one?

I have on that ids made of the stainless steel supply lines. It seemed it took to long to sparge.

Looks good man! here's a little trick to help you hit your mash temps. Heat your strike water about 10 degrees above your strike temp and then pour it into your mash tun. This will preheat the MT for you and and you will probably lose about 7 degrees or so from the kettle to the MT anyway. Stir the water until your water hits your strike temp, add your grains, and hit your mash temp. Have fun boss!

sorry but thats not great advice.
If you add your grains when your strike water is exactly what you want to mash at you will be way off.

You need strike water at least 10 degrees above mash temp. The cooler grain will suck the heat out of your strike water causing you to come in way under.

sorry but thats not great advice.

If you add your grains when your strike water is exactly what you want to mash at you will be way off.

You need strike water at least 10 degrees above mash temp. The cooler grain will suck the heat out of your strike water causing you to come in way under.

I thought he said to put the water in 10 degrees above strike then let it cool to strike then grains. I am just asking because I would probably try that if it makes sense.

Hello my name is Drizzt and I have a brewing addiction.

Back