first all grain wheat crush help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewyourown4life

Reaction score
will be brewing my first all grain wheat beer on saturday. this will be my 5th all grain beer. i was just wondering about the crush for the wheat. my BC mill is set at .039 do i leave it there and run it through twice or narrow it up. if i do need to narrow it up what would be a good setting?. i plan on using rice hulls also

I been using the factory setting and typically get 74% efficiency with my hefe's when not decocting. If I decoct I get my usual 79% which is what I get with all my regular beers. You can tighten it up a little, but you'll be fine if you leave it as is you just might get a few less efficiency points. I personally came to the conclusion I am going to start tightening it a little more for wheat to get my efficiency more along the same consistency of all my other beers. One thing you will notice is if you pour some wheat grains in you will hear a few fall through and hit the bucket bottom. It's only a very small amount but that says to me it would probably be wise to adjust it a little tighter from now on.

Rev.

Latest posts

Back