First All Grain IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxkling

Reaction score
All Centennial IPA 2.5G Batch
4.5 lbs Pale Malt 2-row(us)
1lb vienna Malt
.25 (4oz) Cara-Pils
.25 (4oz) Caramel/Crystal 20L

.5oz centennial 60 min
.5oz centennial 15 min
.5oz centennial 5 min
.5oz centennial 1 min

1/2tsp Irish Moss

Dry Hop 5 days
1oz centennial

yeast wyeast 1272

I ended up crash cooling and using gelatin for the first time, and I now swear by it. This was the best beer I've brewed so far, almost identical to the 2 hearted ale. I tried one after 4 days carbing, and it was amazing.

Only part that sucks is I did a half batch so not much beer, but this has now seriously opened my eyes.... I CAN NOW MAKE GREAT BEER. My extract days werent the best, nothing really turned out amazing, and I'm glad I gave all grain a try.

Good for you.

Sounds like my first all-grain as well. I created a 2.5 gallon batch of a Black IPA and was blown away by how good it was. The freshness from the Dry-Hopping was better than anything I've tasted commercially.

Maybe I'll give this recipe a try sometime as well. I love two hearted and I can't get it here.

Almost identical to the 2 hearted I made, except I did a 5 gal batch and used 10 lb of 2-row. Everything else scales up perfectly!

I also just kegged a Stone Ruination clone with a very similar profile. 14 lbs 2-row, Crystal 20L and all centennial with the exception of a Magnum for bittering. If this one comes out half as good as the 2 hearted I will be extremely happy!

Yea, as I stated out of maybe 10 batches of my extract beer, only 1 turned out really good. The rest were just ok, and 2 were pretty bad.

IMO AG is just the way to go.

Back