First All Grain Batch Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChoochNW

Reaction score
So I am about to do my first AG batch tomorrow and have a few questions to help put my mind at ease.

Since it's my first AG batch what should I use for my estimated efficiency so I can offset my grain bill?

I made a Mash Tun out of a 52 qt cooler with a pvc manifold. I did a water only run today and noticed that there was about 20 0z of water left at the bottom (out of 5 gal), I am guessing that the added weight of the grain bill will get rid of that leftover water. Correct?

Also I plan on doing a Batch Sparge, is the amount strike water simply divided in half for the two mashes?

:mug:

From the little bit I know you should measure the amount that you get from your first runnings, subtract that from your pre-boil volume if you are doing a double batch then yes divide the amount needed by 2. I use http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php
for mash temps. G'luck. I have only brewed 4 AG's so if someone else says I am wrong...they are probably right

So I am about to do my first AG batch tomorrow and have a few questions to help put my mind at ease.

Since it's my first AG batch what should I use for my estimated efficiency so I can offset my grain bill?

I made a Mash Tun out of a 52 qt cooler with a pvc manifold. I did a water only run today and noticed that there was about 20 0z of water left at the bottom (out of 5 gal), I am guessing that the added weight of the grain bill will get rid of that leftover water. Correct?

Also I plan on doing a Batch Sparge, is the amount strike water simply divided in half for the two mashes?

:mug:

Estimate 65% since your first try will likely suck. Make a beer that will not suffer from higher, unexpected, OG. Use brewing software.

No, do not be concerned about 20oz of water. Your first brew day will suck, and you will mess up many times - 20 oz of water will be the least of your worries. Its part of the fun learning process. Trust me. Have fun!

Thanks guys...found DD's Batch Sparge write up after I posted this. Feel pretty good about the process now. I'll be sure to let you know how it came out, plan on doing a Spring Pale Ale

Just did my first batch last week, beyond my catastrophic mashtun failure, my losing my thermometer in the mashtun, and breaking my hopspider mid boil it went well =P
I actually ended up with a higher OG than expected =D so dont sweat it yet

Don't worry you'll do fine. Use a online calculator, or figure 1.25 qts/lb of grist. The grain will absorb .1 gallons/lb. Subtract absorption to get your first run off volume. You'll need 6-6.5 gallons pre boil. Figure out your batch volume by subtracting these numbers.

You can assume 65% efficiency and you'll do fine. Don't panic about mash temps being perfect immediately. You can cool it down a bit with ice cubes and stirring, heating it up with infusions is ok but can quickly lead to no sparge water left.

Shoot for a mid range mash temp like 155F. Pre heat your tun with boiling water.

Check out Dennybrew.com or some of the sticky threads.

I would agree around 65% is a good starting point. If you've done PM in the past than relax. Your first AG will not suck, you'll get done and say "damn, that was really easy. Why haven't I been doing this forever???"

You're really just dealing with larger volumes and no extract saftey net. Your efficiency will get better as you get a few more brews under your belt. Just because someone else had a ****ty first AG brew doesn't mean yours has to be. Have fun!:mug:

Thanks guys....just finished preping up the garage for the batch. Got a checklist off the process to help keep us on track, and all our numbers plugged into promash. (plus all the handy links to this forum incase we hit any snags)

IMAG0175_edit0.jpg

Made it through the first All Grain batch with minimal snags. My Mash was about 2-3 degrees below the target temp (155). Preheated my Tun and plugged the grain temp into Mash pro to get my strike water temp, sounds like I just need to adjust my strike water temps up a few degrees to offset this and all should be good for my next batch.

The rest of the process went smooth thanks to the great thread from DubbelDach and company here (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/all-grain-tutorial-nut-brown-ale-77705/):rockin:

Only other problem I had was transferring the cooled wort to the Fermenter. I had been using grain bags with our hop additions but read that guys were using filter systems on the dip tubes of the keg and just dumping the whole leaf hops into the boil. Tried this and had clogging issues, a minor snag but after a long day of brewing it was the last thing we wanted to deal with.

Its been about 12 hours and already showing a solid Krausen :mug:

Next batch or two and we should be dialed in!

I like your set up. If you went to a round upright cooler, you could eliminate a little of the dead space in your MLT, but you can always add sparge water instead, and you'll be fine. All grain is the way to go!

Made it through the first All Grain batch with minimal snags.

Yup, that's how it works. Good Job.

Do you ever get out to Seven Brides Brewing? I was just asking because my cousin's band The Druthers are playing there on Mar. 25. I need to get out there sometime.

Made it through the first All Grain batch with minimal snags. My Mash was about 2-3 degrees below the target temp (155). Preheated my Tun and plugged the grain temp into Mash pro to get my strike water temp, sounds like I just need to adjust my strike water temps up a few degrees to offset this and all should be good for my next batch.

The rest of the process went smooth thanks to the great thread from DubbelDach and company here (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/all-grain-tutorial-nut-brown-ale-77705/):rockin:

Only other problem I had was transferring the cooled wort to the Fermenter. I had been using grain bags with our hop additions but read that guys were using filter systems on the dip tubes of the keg and just dumping the whole leaf hops into the boil. Tried this and had clogging issues, a minor snag but after a long day of brewing it was the last thing we wanted to deal with.

Its been about 12 hours and already showing a solid Krausen :mug:

Glad to hear it! Went better than most first try's :) Its not over until you taste it, and once its ready to be tasted. For me, that was when I really learned what I needed to improve; my fermentation temps :tank:

Back