First All Grain Batch A Success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluePants

Reaction score
I had some fellow brewers over and we cranked out 9 gallons of Pale Ale. Everything seems to have gone smoothly. As this was my first batch, I underestimated the efficiency (assumed 68%). I was trying to brew 8 gallons at 1.052 and ended up with 9 at 1.050. I think I underestimated how crazy my boil off rate was, but I'll be able to estimate everything better next time.

I think I calculated efficiency correctly, I used the volume post chill before seperating from the trub (9.75) and ended up with a 77% efficiency. This might be an overestimate though, because I would think you would want to take into account the volume of the trub and hop debris. that would put me more in the 73% range. Any guidance on this?

I also had some problems with whirlpooling, couldnt get the debris to seperate and my first carboy had a lot of nasty stuff in it. I let it settle overnight and then siphoned off the beer and some yeast. It was going fine, and still is.

Ain't it great?! With anyone's first AG session, your estimates are really more like SWAGs! You'll be able to dial your numbers in better, now that you have one under your belt. Congrats on your 1st!:mug:

Wow.. So much math involved in AG brewing.
I'm more of the Winging type. For me, it's more like baking a cake.
Just follow the recipe... hope for the best.

Back