First AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury556

Reaction score
I need some advice please. I have 20lbs of 2 row brewers malt and 5lbs of crystal 40L & 1/2 ounce each of columbus & east kent golding hops pellets. I want to make something else while my current batch is fermenting in my wine fridge. I won't be able to control the fermentation temps on this one very well since I don't have another wine fridge so it will be fermenting between 76-85deg.

What would be the best type of yeast to use? I want to end up with 2 1/2 gallons with around 8-9% ABV. This will be my first AG brew, I have a 30qt pot with no false bottom. Is a false bottom necessary or can I just use a strainer to remove the grain from the water before boiling?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks. :mug:

For this temperature use saison yeast (i recommend 3711) if you really need to make something but your ingredients are not the best choice, also if you want to use all the malt you have then this is enough for 10gal batch

Thanks Polboy. So I could use a 1/4 of the grain to make a 2.5 gallon batch then. If I use a saison yeast won't that give the beer a tart/sour taste?

depends on your efficiency ect but probably like 12lbs of 2 row and 1lbs of crystal, all hops in 60min addition should bring you to something close to saison (you can add 1lb of table sugar as well), but i dont know if this will be any good, i would use pilsner and munich malt or crystal and saaz or willamette for hops and more hops than 1oz for sure, im just saying your temperature will be fine for saison yeast but ingredients are not the best for this style so i dont know what you get.
And saison is one of my favorite styles it not suppose to be sour

Back