First AG Recipe - Robust (Imperial?) Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chato

Reaction score
I'm looking for a critique of this. I want to brew a big porter without any flavorings (i.e. vanilla, bourbon, smoke)...just the basics. I want it very dark, fairly heavy malt and somewhat on the sweet side, but with enough bitterness to balance. I estimate my efficiency at about 65% using a modified BIAB method. Here's what I've got:

14 lbs Pearl or Maris Otter
1.5 lbs Munich (20L)
0.75 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
0.75 lbs Chocolate Malt
0.5 lbs Black Patent Malt
1 lbs Honey Malt

90 minute boil
1.5 oz Kent Goldings, UK (60 min)
.75 oz Magnum Pellets (45 min)
.75 oz Willamette (30 min)
.75 oz Willamette (15 min)
.5 oz Kent Goldings, UK (0 min)
.5 oz Willamette (0 min)

Mash 1.25 gal/pound at 152-154. Batch sparge 168

wyeast 1056 (or maybe 1098?). 2 packs into 1.6L starter
100 seconds of O2

Predicted OG - 1.087
Predicted FG - 1.024
Predicted IBU - 58
SRM - 41
Predicted ABV - 8.4%

This will be my second all grain attempt and my first attempt at creating a recipe. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

A big porter; no flavorings; just the basics. That's the goal.

-Honey malt would not be traditional, or part of the basics, but it would help with some sweetness although you might be a little heavy on it. (0.5-0.75 should be plenty)
-20L munich. If you're talking Briess then you should think of it as contributing about half the weight in crystal-like sweetness (i.e. 1.5 lb 20L Briess Munich would be like 0.75 lb 20L Crystal plus Maltiness).
-It's possible that you have too much sweetness with 20L Munich, Crystal, and Honey Malt. Then again, you said you wanted it on the sweet side.
-Overall, I like what you're doing but I'd dial back on the sweet malts just a little bit - not a lot.
-The hop schedule is unnecessarily busy for a "basics" porter, IMO. I would do a 60 and maybe 20-30 addition and be done with it.

HTH!

Wow, thanks, excellent critique. I didn't know that about Munich, but I was wondering exactly where it fit between base malt and specialty. I think I'll take your advice and dial back a little on the sweet stuff and simplify the hop schedule.

Back