First AG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadalive

Reaction score
So I did my first AG on Friday and everything went pretty good, hit all my temps and gravity. I batch sparged using a ten gallon cooler with a SS braided line but despite vorlaufing many times a large amount of grain husks etc. still made it into my fermenter. Is this gonna effect taste or anything? I plan on only using the primary so will it just settle out and not effect anything if I only do one stage or should I use a secondary?

Next time I plan on using a grain bag at the end of my line or something similar to help filter things out.

Using a secondary will clear you beer.
I dont think it will change the taste, but your beer will be more clear

Not 100 % sure about that but pretty sure :)

Grain in the boil can add some astingency. It really depends on how much a lot is. If it's a small handful, I severely doubt you will notice.

Once the grain makes it to the fermenter it won't do anything at all (well, except maybe add some yeast nutrients.) Barley Flour and grain husk will both settle out of the brew at least as fast as the yeast will, so as long as you're giving the beer a few weeks on the cake you'll be fine.

On my first acclaimed-among-my-friends (ie. they actually asked for more instead of just drinking it to make me feel better) there was a fair amount of grain husk that I noticed while siphoning to the bottling bucket.

So I did my first AG on Friday and everything went pretty good, hit all my temps and gravity. I batch sparged using a ten gallon cooler with a SS braided line but despite vorlaufing many times a large amount of grain husks etc. still made it into my fermenter. Is this gonna effect taste or anything? I plan on only using the primary so will it just settle out and not effect anything if I only do one stage or should I use a secondary?

Next time I plan on using a grain bag at the end of my line or something similar to help filter things out.

:off:, but what was your recipe? Something like EdWort's Haus Ale? I was at Wascana Wine and Brew last week and the guys there were surprised cause someone was in the day before and bought pretty much exactly what I did. Was that you?

The vorlauf is good for getting big pieces of grain out and some smaller chunks. But, I've never looked through the pyrex cup and had the wort be crystal clear. Maybe other people do. Palmer describes it as unfiltered apple cider looking.

Thanks for the Info Bobby. :) After looking up hot and cold breaks I think that is what I was seeing. I didn't notice too much grain particulates going into the pot when transferring from my mashtun, but started seeing what I thought was a lot grain husks during the boil and after I cooled and transfered to my fermenter.

The vorlauf is good for getting big pieces of grain out and some smaller chunks. But, I've never looked through the pyrex cup and had the wort be crystal clear. Maybe other people do. Palmer describes it as unfiltered apple cider looking.

I like the comparison to unfiltered cider. I vorlaufed excessively looking for crystal clear, and then just figured I to RDWHAHB.

Back