First AG...mash tun efficiency question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstudio18

Reaction score
So, here I am, 5 extract batches in and I am dying to start doing all-grain. I have everything I need but have a question regarding my home-made mash tun. I made it out of a rectangular cooler using a ball valve and my "filter" system is made of the stainless steel mesh tube from a water heater connector. It is about 1.5 inches in diameter and runs along the bottom of the tun from one end of the cooler to the other. I've seen a lot of videos suggesting this design, but am concerned about the efficiency. I plan on doing batch sparges, and was just wondering if anyone else uses this type of configuration with success. Thanks!

I have a setup that is kind of similar. It's really impossible to tell you what your specific efficiency will be based by a setup. Efficiency will vary from batch to batch based on ingedients used and the overall process you use. I always plan around 75% and typically get between 70 and 80%.

Tun geometry is far less important with batch sparging...your setup should work great. Your crush will have a far greater impact. I agree with dbeienrk1...75% is likely. Maybe start 70% and adjust as necessary.

Back