First AG brewday done! Question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NyPDFustercluck

Reaction score
Just got done putting BierMuncher's Session Haus Ale https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/aberdeen-brewery-session-haus-ale-3-5-ag-37334/
into the carboy. This was my first AG batch, and it turned out pretty swell!
I ended up doing a half batch of only five gallons, as I only have one 20qt kettle for now. I used the BIAB method as per DeathBrewer's instructions. I mashed 7# 2-row US, 1/2# Dextrine, 1/2# Vienna Malt, and 1/2# Crystal 20 @ 154 for 80 minutes, then ran into my first problem of the day. I realized at the 80 minutes mark that I had not heated up my sparge water yet, so I pulled out the mesh bag of grains, set it aside in a large bowl and transferred my first wort into two sanitized two gallon pots. I then filled the original five gallon pot with my 2.5 gallons of sparge water, heated to 170, and continued on with my sparge for 10 min. I then lifted and drained the bag of grains and added my previously reserved first wort. Continued on my boil with no problems, got to use my newly built 45` immersion chiller (got the best hot break I've ever seen) and filled my carboy, adding two quarts of cold water to top off to five gallons. I then aerated the wort for several minutes with a sanitzed spoon on the end of a cordless drill then checked my OG, which was 1.057 at 64 degrees. I am a little puzzled, as the recipe called for an OG of 1.040 assuming 75% efficiency. Now I am assuming I would get less than that doing BIAB. I dont really know how one goes about calculating efficiency and would greatly appreciate anyones insights.

Sorry for the long post! Just really juiced that my first AG seemed to go so well

Edit==> I used 1.5qt/pound for my strike water 3.25 gal total

Ended up with 4.5 going into the Carboy and topped off to five gallons with chilled tap water. Og was 1.056. Seemed pretty high. How do I go about calculating efficiency?

Latest posts

Back