first AG bREW HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremybmx10

Reaction score
The link doesn't work for me... But if you know what mash temp you want to hit, you can use http://www.simplebiabcalculator.com/ to figure out strike temp - you'll need to input a few things, but it tells you exactly how much water to use and what temp to heat it to before adding your grains. I see you are asking about mash temp, so maybe if you can share a little bit about the beer like the style, ingredients, and how much body you are looking for we can help. Can you cut & paste the recipe?

I don't use sparge water, I just let my bag drain or squeeze it between a couple kettle lids to get the wort out, so I just do a full volume mash. That's been getting me around 80% efficiency consistently and I'm happy with it.

http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet/the-1745/Toronto-Brewing--dsh--Canadian/Detail

the link should work if not here is the product disc.
An extremely light tasting beer with a high proportion of rice. Broad appeal, perfect for summer weather, barbecues and parties. NOTE: we recommend using a lager yeast with this kit, which require the ability to control the temperature of the fermenting beer at around 10-12C. This recipe also works well with an ale yeast (US-05) if you do not have the facility to temperature control fermentation.

Ingredients:
Malt: 2-Row, Flaked Rice
Hops: French Strisselspalt
Yeast: Saflager W34-70

ADVANCED EQUIPMENT REQUIRED - we recommend our 5 Gallon All-Grain Starter Kit

Origin of Style: Canada
Estimated ABV: 4.1%
Colour: Pale Straw
Gravity Level: Low
Hop Rating (1-5): 1

Is it the Candian Lite recipe? http://www.torontobrewing.ca/images/recipe-instructions/canadian-lite.pdf

The second page mentions to mash at 65C/149F.

As for volumes, I typically mash at 1.25qts / lb of grain. For for 10lbs, that would be 12.5qts or 3.125 gallons. For sparge, you have to take into account the water absorbed by the grains. I usually guess at 1/10th of a gallon per pound of grain. That would leave 2.125 gallons.

For my system I need 6.5 gallons pre-boil volume to leave me with 5 gallons in the fermenter. So I would use 4.375 (6.5 - 2.125) gallons for sparge.

When I was starting all-grain, volumes were one of the most difficult part to dial in.

if i boil more then 5 gal meaning i get more evaporation do i just add water in my fermentor to bring it up to 5 gal?

You can, though I would avoid that if your equipment allows. Adding water will lower your bitterness and gravity points.

This is another thing you will learn after you do a few all-grain batches... your evaporation rate and ultimately how much pre-boil volume you need to give yourself 5 gallons in the fermenter.

I took a wood dowel and marked 5 gallons up to 7.5 gallons in 1/2 gallon incriments. That way when I sparge I can continue until I get to my necessary volume (6.5 gallon for a 60 minute boil).

I use the 1.25 qt. per pound ratio mostly. Heat strike to 169, by the time I get the lid on the mash tun I'm around 155 Deg.

Immediately get a Sparge batch ready on of about 5 gallons (169 deg). Sparge till you get 6.5 Gallons (pre boil).

Boil for an hour or untill you have 5.5ish Gallons.

When you cool it the volume will decrease.

You will lose at least .5 Gallons from sediment and evap.

The more particulate matter in the beer (Hops, grain particles ect) the less beer you will have when it all settles out (you'll just have to fine tune the exact volume).

All trial and error but the outcome is still Beer. So you got that going for ya, which is nice.

BTW adding water at the end is meh and just another opportunity to expose your beer to bacteria... Let the beer gods take what they want.

Back