First AG Brew day - Dr Who Hearted Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebrews

Reaction score
In an attempt to escape a slight twang flavor in my brews, and the desire to get to that next level of quality, I finally made the jump to AG brews.

I decided I wanted something close to Two Hearted Ale, which I've never tried. So I combined a few clone recipes and I'm calling it Doctor Who Hearted Ale.

6 Gallon batch
1.066 og

Malt Bill:
10lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row
2.8lbs Pale Malt
8oz Caramel 40L
4oz Cara-Pils

Mashed for 60 minutes at 150

Hops:
1oz Centennial @60
1oz Centennial @15
1oz Centennial @5
1oz Centennial @1
1oz Centennial Steep/Whirlpool 20 minutes
1oz Centennial Dry Hop 7 days

Yeast:
Denny's Favorite 50 1L starter w/stirplate

Primary for 10 days and secondary for 7-14

Comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

Looks really good!

Check your expected OG using brewing s

I would not use Denny's Favorite for this beer. According to everything I read, Bell's ferments pretty dry in order to get to the ABV (7.2%, I believe). While I have used Denny's only twice, it tends to leave a bit more residual sweetness than US-05. My recommendation is to use US-05, assuming you can't culture yeast from Bell's.

In any even, an all Centennial IPA is one of my favorite brews and I am sure your's will be excellent!

Thanks! I neglected to mention that I did brew this 9 days ago, I believe the og was supposed to be 1.063 according to Beersmith but I hit 1.066.

Good feedback on the yeast, I had some hesitation with Denny's but I'd never used it before. Ever since I started making yeast starters I've kinda shied away from using dry yeast but I'll definitely try US-05 or harvest some yeast from a Bell's 6-pack on the next batch.

Latest posts

Back