First AG batch tastes watery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy32pinkerton

Reaction score
Hi all - did my first AG batch 3 weeks ago (Northern Brewer Bavarian Hefeweizen), recipe below:
- 5.5 lbs. Weyermann Pale Wheat malt
- 4 lbs German Pilsner malt
- 1oz Tettnang @60 mins
- White Labs Hef yeast, dont remember the actual strain

Did a BIAB mash @ 156 degrees for 60 mins, 10 minute mash-out at 170, then went through with the normal boil and ended up with a OG of 1.048. Fermented for 2 weeks @ 68 degrees, checked OG and it was 1.09. Transferred to keg @12 PSI.

Up to this point everything went as I expected, but when I tasted it today it is carbonated but tastes very watery - practically like half hef, half water. Do I just need to let it mature longer, or should I be concerned? Is there anything I can do to help improve it besides age? Thanks in advance!

Considering your FG, I'd guess you thermometer wasn't properly calibrated and you actually mashed quite a bit lower than you intended. That would explain lighter body.

Wlp300 and wlp380 have always made great hefe for me. Even the temp is more or less what use.

1.009, to me, seems reasonable for a hefe. I'd be more interested in what the OP means by "watery".

Mike

I am also curious about the keg being set to 12 PSI. I understand wheat beers being best at about 3.8 volumes of CO2. Even if it were refrigerated to only 50F, that would mean a line pressure of 34 PSI to reach 3.8 volumes of CO2. Perhaps that is the issue?

Mike

I've had an issue similar to this when I first started brewing when the beer ended up with a lower ABV that originally intended with the recipe. This led to the beer feeling watery due to being overpowered by the ingredients and not getting much alcohol flavor. Not sure what your target ABV was, but this was my experience.

Yes my FG was 1.009, not 1.09 lol. The beer is definitely not flat, it just tastes almost watered down which is strange since I nearly hit my expected OG and FG on the nose. I'll let it sit another couple weeks and see if it improves

Yes my FG was 1.009, not 1.09 lol. The beer is definitely not flat, it just tastes almost watered down which is strange since I nearly hit my expected OG and FG on the nose. I'll let it sit another couple weeks and see if it improves

To what volume of CO2 were you aiming? And at what temp did you have this keg while carving at 12PSI?

Mike

Back