First AG batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hallowed

Reaction score
I wish I had thought to check these forums before I brewed my first AG batch last weekend, a Belgian-inspired amber ale. The only major problems I had were:

1) I infused 12# of grain with 18 qts of 164F water for a ratio of 1.5 lbs/qt. I had preheated my MLT (I use a r-maid cooler system), and only missed my mash-in temp by 1 degree, 154 instead of 153. I was able to maintain temperature throughout my 90" mash, while only losing a degree or two. However, when it came time to mash-out, ProMash told me I needed 4.34 qts of 210F water to hit my mash-out temp of 163... I ended up adding twice that much boiling water and still only hit 158F for mashout. What am I missing here?

2) I tried to start sparging, and grain had gotten around my false bottom and clogged my outlet. I ended up having to remove my mash to unclog the outlet, put everything back in, and then commence sparging. Everything worked great after all that, but how could I avoid the problem in the first place? I think the grain got under there when I was stirring, but I'm not sure that it didn't creep under throughout the process... my false bottom is connected to a ball valve using thermoplastic vinyl tubing. Could the tubing be floating from trapped air inside it, since I didn't run my preheat water out through it and dumped from the top instead? Should I look into weights of some kind to hold the false bottom down? Should I just run some water through it right before mash-in to eliminate air, and then hold it down with something during stirring? Or am I overlooking something else entirely?

Other than only getting 58% efficiency and subsequently hitting 1.050 OG instead of about 1.060 which I was shooting for (and the resulting hop bitterness that I didn't account for with a lower OG), the young beer tastes excellent. I just transferred to secondary last night.

Any help is appreciated greatly! Thanks!

Matt

You may consider a braided s.s. filter instead of a false bottom. I get good effeciency without any clogging problems. Also, your low efficiency may be a result of either your milling being too coarse or (if sparging) run off too quickly. Regarding mash out, I sparge with 180f. HL and by the end of the sparge the grains still only measure at 160f. or so. I'm not sure but, I think that the only way that you can achieve the mash out temp that promash states is if you stir the HL into solution but I try not to disturb the mash bed like that.
mark
Beer Diary...

First, the mash out temperature.

How did you transfer the mash out water to the MLT? If you ladle it, then you will lose a lot of heat to the ladle. If you just pour it in, you shouldn't lose much heat, but you will lose a bit of heat which goes to heating the cooler, and while stirring. I use Promash, have a rubbermaid cooler with a false bottom, and find the Promash water calculation for a mash out infusion comes out just 1 - 2 degrees low (and that I put down to the thermal mass of the cooler).

I have two false bottoms (plastic for the 5g MLT, and SS for the 10g).
With the SS one, I have never had any problems getting grain under it, but with the plastic one, I used to.
I found that adding strike water until it is a couple inches above the top of the outlet tube, and then draining out about 1 cup to flood the outlet before adding any grain, and then adding about 1 qt grain, followed by 1 (or in your case 1.5) qts water while stirring gently fixed the problem.

-a.

I am in the process now of mashing and today and to pre-heat my 10g RM mlt I instead of using hot water I used a hair dryer set on high and layed it in the mlt while the strike water has heating. Mucho quicker and allot more easy than the water method.

Disclaimer=(Use common sense with electricity and wet areas, that is all:cross:)

I transferred the mashout water by just dumping it in and stirring.

The more I think about it, the more I think my biggest problem with the false bottom was air trapped in the hose where I didn't run any water through it. Guess I'll find out next batch, huh?

I don't think the efficiency was my runoff, because I was careful to not go above 1 qt. every 2 minutes during recirculation, and I significantly lowered the runoff rate during sparging. I think I took about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes to complete sparging. The grain being too course might be a pretty big contributor, because I don't own a mill yet and had to have Northern Brewer crush my grain for me (I also don't have a LHBS here in WV). I'm going to try to order a mill the next time I get ingredients for a batch, but dunno if I'll have the financial ability.

Back