First AG batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tochsner

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tomorrow morning I will attempt my first all grain batch.
It is the "Pliny the Toddler" recipe from the last Zymurgy.
The grain bill is:
3.5lbs Maris Otter
3.5lbs Domestic 2-Row
1.0lbs Car-Pils

I am going to BIAB using 2qt/lb of water. Then I am going to heat the remaining water to 170 degrees and sparge for 15 more minutes like I have seen suggested here.

Here are a my questions:
1) Calls for "Single infusion mash at 152F for 60 minutes" Why not tempature raise and mash out like some of the other recipes suggest? What does that higher temp mash out do?

2)The recipe calls for a 90 minute boil. What does the longer boil accomplish?

3)It also calls for .5 lbs of "Table Sugar". I assume that is just regular sugar, not corn sugar?

4)Additionally it calls for 5g of Gypsum. When is Gypsum added? What's it do?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Tony

Here are a my questions:
1) Calls for "Single infusion mash at 152F for 60 minutes" Why not tempature raise and mash out like some of the other recipes suggest? What does that higher temp mash out do?

The mash out at 168 to 170 destroys the enzymes that facilitate conversion of the starches in the grain. So it halts the mash. It also makes the grain bed looser and easier to rinse the sugars out of.

2)The recipe calls for a 90 minute boil. What does the longer boil accomplish?

Increases the opportunity for maillard reactions that produce the caramel-like colors and flavors in beer. Make sure your starting volume is sufficient for a 1.5 hour boil.

3)It also calls for .5 lbs of "Table Sugar". I assume that is just regular sugar, not corn sugar?

You can use all kinds of sugar, if you use it at all. It's common in some styles, e.g., invert sugar used in Belgian beer. Often it is added to boost the alcohol level a bit. Dextrose or corn sugar would be my preference if a recipe called for sugar. It increases the fermentables without affecting flavor.

4)Additionally it calls for 5g of Gypsum. When is Gypsum added? What's it do?

It goes in the mash water. Adds calcium to your water. It also lowers the ph of your water. Only really needed if you have soft water or alkaline water. If you have moderately hard to hard water, it'll just increase the minerally taste of the beer to a potentially unpleasant level.

See this from John Palmer's How to Brew: Chapter 15 - Understanding the Mash pH

Latest posts

Back