First AG Batch after 3 year break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonhijack

Reaction score
So I initially got into homebrewing because our micro beer scene was pretty much non-existent. Bottling was a chore and some really great micros popped up so I took a break and drank local beers. I got the bug back again and brewed an AG batch today. It is a Green Flash IPA clone and it went really well! My efficiency hit 84% too! I was really surprised as I have never hit those numbers before and the post boil wort from the hydrometer sample tasted great! I made a stepped up starter which I hope gets things going quickly. Going to put together a kegging system in the coming weeks so I can be done with bottling forever!

Welcome back. I quit for almost 20 years because I got tired of bottling and the gear and ingredients weren't that great back then. Now I'm hooked again with kegging equipment, a local homebrew store available, lots of gear and ingredients available on line and lots of tips on this site. It's like a whole new world for me. Now the only downside is that I keep spending money buying more gear and gadgets. Could be worse; at least I get beer at the end of the process.

Yeah,the gear itch is hard to resist. For the most part, all I need is the kegging setup and I am good. Of course, I am sure that is the gateway to more gear :)

Fermenting has nearly come to an end after 6 days. I pulled a hydrometer sample so I could test the gravity. OG was 1.080 and today it is at 1.014. Nice fermentation! Apparently I pitched enough yeast. The hydro sample tastes clean, no off flavors, and ended up being about 8.7% abv. That is exactly what Beersmith calculated, so I must have done something right. I am going to give it a couple more days in primary, then transfer to a secondary to dry hop for a week, then into my new keg system :) I have a Modus Hoperandi clone to brew tomorrow so I can start getting my production line in place.

Back