First AG, 11 days in...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stirlingtrent

Reaction score
I made an attempt at a saison, BIAB method, using WL 565. I let primary fermentation happen in a 70º room, and it was pretty vigorous for the first 72 hours, with the internal temp getting up to at least 78º, based on my carboy sticky fermometer. Also checked the gravity after 7 days, and was down to 1.010.

My question is, should I just leave it the next 2-3 weeks in the same 70º room? Would there be any reason for me to try ramping up the temp at this point? My instinct is to leave it alone, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know that particular yeast or its temperature preferences, but the various saison yeasts can be picky about temps. I've always used Wyeast 3711 because it's not as picky about the temp, but it generally goes pretty vigorously for a couple days, and then continues to slowly drop over the next couple weeks. I'd suggest leaving it alone, as it may well drop a few more points.

Since you're at 1.010 I'd just let it ride... It's all about cleaning house now, so room temp should be fine.

Back