First 5 gal. in Forest City, NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jw93ls

Reaction score
Hello everyone! The wife got me the extra equipment I needed for a 5 gal. kit for my birthday a few weeks ago. I had recently inherited a 5gal glass carboy from my grandfather that he used for wine. So with my new equipment and a borrowed turkey fryer/brewpot from my cousin I brewed my Sweet Oatmeal Stout yesterday and within 5 hours the airlock on my 7.8 gal fermentor was filling up with foamy yeast and hop particles. I rigged a blow-off with some bottling tubing and a 22oz bottle full of sanitizer, and now am patiently waiting to see if the pitching the yeast too soon (at 84*) was a mistake. Hopefully it will turn out better than my 3 failed Mr. Beer attempts (3 out of 4 were horrible, and one turned out really good).

Welcome to the boards! Like you, I had some issues with a Mr. Beer kit I had years ago. It was enough to discourage me from the hobby for a while, but I am glad that I came back. Many people have and love them, and many people used them and loathed them.

Much like Nickelback, you either love them or hate them, and I am in the latter for both. :ban:

Back