First 5 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barribunny

Reaction score
well i guess a SNAFU is what most ppl get on the first batch lol. i did an 5gal batch of a American ale. all good 45 min steep 60 min cook and pitched at 70 (white labs ) let sit about 3 weeks ferm took about 3 days then no bubbles

bottled with carb tabs about a week after put one in the frig for 2 days just tasted it is kinda sweet dose it need more time help little lost here:mug:
thanks

Was there any carbonation to the beer? A week is pretty short for carbonation, especially in the winter. What is the temperature where you are conditioning your beer? If it's sweet and has carbonation then it may not be done fermenting. But after 3 weeks I would bet it's done. My guess is that the sweetness is the bottling sugar and that the yeast just haven't finished with the bottling sugar. Give it another week and then try another bottle. So hard to wait on that first batch!!

lol ya it is hard to hold off. im in socal so it has been at 70 it has carbonation but i bet that's it ill let it condition more

Did you measure the gravity at the end before you bottled?

That would tell us more if its the fermentation sugar, or the bottling sugar.

If your > 1.015ish its likely fermentation sugar left over, either from the recipe or just fermentation that didnt totally finish.

ya my gravity was good i did some more looking i think it just needs more time but i will let you know thanks all

Def need more time. Let that **** bottle conditions for a bit. Most beers get better with age. If you got room in your fridge you should lager some for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back