firestone Keg sockets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I can't find the thread but I seem to remember that one of you guys had made your own socket for getting the post off of your firestone Keg. Can you tell what attachment you used for your Dremel and what the socket size is?

Or does anyone just know what the socket size is? I can probably figure out which Dremel attachment to use.

You are talking about a pin lock keg correct? If so jut place the socket on top of the post and mark the pin locations w/ a sharpie. then i would think you would want to use one of dremels re enforced abrasive disks to cut the notch. but cut the notch larger than the pin so that the socket sides contact the hex sides of the post and not the pin. If you put pressure on the pins you will brweak them or bend them.

Agreed!!

When I knotched my out it was fairly dusty as well so make sure your in a ventalated area or outside. You don't need that metal dust in your body!!

I think I used a 13/16 deep socket (i will check that).......local hardware store...About $5CAN. Make sure it is a deep socket. The short one will not work.

IGOR

That's what I needed to know! Thanks. If you find it's a different size, let me know Igor. it's weird because I've heard both 7/8ths and 13/16ths, which are right next to each other. I wonder if some people use one and others use the other. It doesn't seem like you could get by with that, especially with those fragile little pins.

So I got my cut off tools, found a 13/16ths deep socket at the pawn shop, came home and started cutting. It went pretty easy. Only problem is I needed a star socket and not the six sided one I had!:mad:

Oh well, the socket was free. The guy at the shop asked if that was all I wanted and when I said yeah, he said go on.

So close, but so far. On the bright side, I've never used the Dremel in that capacity and it WAS a lot of fun!:ban:

You must have a slightly different Pin lock post than I do....All five of mine fit perfectly with the 6 sided socket.

If your are stars than you are looking for a torques (spelling) socket. The only place I've seen them around here are at an auto shop.....napa, carquest etc....

Can you post a pic of the post???.....I'm very curious about it. Post a pic of the socket as well...When I get home tonight I'll upload a pic of mine to compare.

IGOR

I was going to post pictures of the whole project last night, but I couldn't find the digital camera. My wife will be home tonight, though, so I will, which will include a picture of the post.

it's kind of weird looking. It's like almost 6 sided but has some small extra sides. I also wonder if maybe I got the wrong size. Maybe I need a 7/8ths.

I have some old kegs that I thhink are firestone and they have 7/8 star or 12 point posts on the gas side. You can use a 12 point wrench on it.... thats what I do. Here is a link to amazon that shows what it looks like.

12 point 7/8 wrench

Note: you use the round side.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure that type of wrench would fit on a pin-lock connector, but hell, what do I know...HEHEH. It would definetly work on a ball-lock.

I forgot to check last night, but I'll be sure to check tonight and post the pics.

IGOR

MrSaLTy said:
I have some old kegs that I thhink are firestone and they have 7/8 star or 12 point posts on the gas side. You can use a 12 point wrench on it.... thats what I do. Here is a link to amazon that shows what it looks like.

12 point 7/8 wrench

Note: you use the round side.

So you just use it on the top of the post or do you go ahead and put it over the pins themself? It doesn't seem like you get enough of a grip if you depend on it staying on the top of the post.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two size fittings used for ball lock kegs. They are 11/16" and 7/8" and require deep sockets. Some gas in fittings are 12 point, and some are 6 point but are differentiated from the liquid out fitting by having notches machined into the flats. Most of you probably know that a 12 point socket will fit a 6 point fitting, but a 6 point socket will not fit a 12 point fitting, but I just thought I would mention it anyway.

As far as pin locks are concerned, I'm not sure which of the two sizes (11/16", 7/8") are used for these, or if there were pin lock kegs made with both sizes like the ball locks were. Here is a Pin Lock Socket available from MoreBeer. I know it is a little pricey, but may be worth it for you to have one that won't damage your fittings.

I called MoreBeer to see if they could confirm what size socket they modified to fit a pin lock fitting, as the description on their site said they "made" it. The guy on the phone said he was unaware that they made them and said he thought that they bought them like that. I think he may not have been honest with me in an attempt to get me to buy it from them as opposed to telling me what size socket it was so I could buy one cheap and modify it myself.

John

2069.jpg

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
So you just use it on the top of the post or do you go ahead and put it over the pins themself? It doesn't seem like you get enough of a grip if you depend on it staying on the top of the post.

Opps, my bad.... I didn't realize you were talking about pin lock and I assumed ball lock. You probably need the socket described above.

EDIT: I believe that northernbrewer has a 12 point socket for pin locks but I think its 13/16 and its like $18.50

OK, hopefully a project thread is coming up. I finally found a star 7/8th socket. Those things are hard to find, they're all six sided. The pawn shop came through though. Anyway, I'm going to get busy on it and hopefully take and post some pictures of the project.

On a somewhat related note, this guy also just told me to take the socket without paying!!!

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
OK, hopefully a project thread is coming up. I finally found a star 7/8th socket. Those things are hard to find, they're all six sided. The pawn shop came through though. Anyway, I'm going to get busy on it and hopefully take and post some pictures of the project.

On a somewhat related note, this guy also just told me to take the socket without paying!!!

Sounds like you owe 2 beers to some pawn shop owners.

Kharma is good to cultivate.

Payback in hombrew never fails to brighten someones day.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

knewshound

knewshound said:
Sounds like you owe 2 beers to some pawn shop owners.

Kharma is good to cultivate.

Payback in hombrew never fails to brighten someones day.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

knewshound

hey, good point!

still working on the project thread. I've been busy!

Back