Firearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FastAndy said:
I shot my uncles .45-70 lever action a few times, yikes. Its a good time, you'll feel it the next day. Pricey ammo too.

I shoot a Sharps .45-70 in long range competitions, it definitly has a punch, but if you reload your own shells it pretty cost effective and you can lower the kick back. I use Goex Black Powder in my shells, lower kick but same velocity as smokeless. The only downside is you have to clean it immediatly when finished shooting.

wheathead said:
A Ruger 10/22 for some plinking fun:
Love those stalks. Looking to put one on my Marlin.

bottlebomber said:
Man you've got trigger fever. What you need to pick up is a Marlin 45-70 ;)
Ha. Tell me about it. I want an SR40C next, then I want to build an AR, but the next purchase is going to be a safe.

HIM_Tattoos said:
I'm hoping to pick one of these up shortly as well.
I'd never heard of them. My stepdad got them for my brother and me for Christmas. A quick look online shows them to be a nice, inexpensive, accurate little piece.

Interesting. How long is long range? I would think that .45-70 would need a helluva arc distance. Do you reload other rounds too?

Long distance for us is litimed, typically between 150 - 200 yards, only because it's an open sight league. The drop is almost unnoticable at that distance, but with a double apature sight it's pretty easy to account for it so really no need to arc it. As for reloading,my father is a certified gunsmith so he's got dies for almost anything, but we typically reload those, .357, .38 s&w, .38-55, .30-06 & 9mm. Plus he's gotten into reloading black powder 20gauge cartridges for clays out of an old domascus side by side.

I love my Glock 32 .357 sig. I just received my 9mm conversion for it today (to use with tatical) and have an Advantage Arms .22 conversion as well.

"Get yourself a Glock, and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol."

FastAndy said:
Interesting. How long is long range? I would think that .45-70 would need a helluva arc distance. Do you reload other rounds too?

Haven't you ever seen Quigley Down Under? The .45-70 is good for the down range man ;)
(Actually my friend who is a dealer and gun nut extrordinaire had a Quigley .45-70 with the octogon barrel marked 1 of 1000 with the vernier sights and all that, he ended up selling it to Cabella's along with a half dozen other guns.

Any reason why you say that?

I've read a few negative things on them, but most are unauthenticated. Mostly it's just complaints about the trigger pull, in my eyes, any pistol with no safety and less than a 10 pound trigger pull is a safety hazard.

I picked it up last night, so far I love it, haven't fired it yet though, we'll see how that goes.

I've had one for 9 years or so, it's definitely not my EDC. It's got night sights on it, and is pretty accurate, but that trigger pull is all slop! I agree with your comment about a heavy trigger pull being ok for a gun with no safety, but mine is reallllly long! I feel like the trigger moves an inch or so before firing, and then the point that it actually breaks is different each time. Maybe it's a design flaw they've tweaked since I bought mine, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone wanting to carry. It sure is fun at the range though, throw a Hogue rubber grip on it and it's comfortable enough to shoot all day. :ban:

Having dry fired it quit a bit the last few days (too cold to shoot right now) I've gotten pretty comfortable with the long and heavy pull. Your comment does ring true to the older models from my understanding, but I believe they've now fixed that. Also, if you send it in to S&W they'll do a trigger job for you to lessen the pounds on pull, free of charge I believe. Hogue grip will definitely be purchased shortly for sure.

A cool dr in the er was just showing me a pic of his bolt action 45 cal rifle that is completely silenced! He has some crazy toys. That would be an awesome target gun since it sounds like an air rifle. They call it the thumper and the barrel is about 2" in diameter. Trying to find a pic of one. Cause I want one.

I love my Glock 32 .357 sig. I just received my 9mm conversion for it today (to use with tatical) and have an Advantage Arms .22 conversion as well.

"Get yourself a Glock, and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol."

Amen to the Glock! I have a Glock 23 .40 cal for CC and a S&W 686 .357 mag.

Glock makes a very reliable gun but the odd angle of the grip is hard for me to get comfortable with, I much prefer the 1911 platform, for me it feels more natural in the hand and the trigger pull is much shorter and silky smooth with no creep. just my preference the glock is a quality firearm just not for me.

starfish, if you want a nice compromise hand gun small enough for cc and a decent holster hip carry gun you might want to check out the kahr cw 9 or 40. the 9 is only 17 ounces for a reasonable cc and has a 3.75 barrel for good accuracy and as a bonus its made in the good ole USA.

I carry the Kahr P45. Fantastic pistol. Rediculously accurate, light and easy for all day carry. It was between that and the 6rd G36. Chose the Kahr and have never looked back.

Chose the 45 over the 40, same capacity and a big bore round. Plus I've shot the P40, extremely jumpy and can get a FTE from "Limpwristing" with the PM series. The 2-finger hold just isn't enough for the 40caliber. I've sold plenty of PM40's to the local PD here, many come back complaining that they are jamming. I told them to put the extended mag (+1, gives you room for one more finger on the grip), and the problem went away. The P45 is actually remarkably comfortable to shoot. I wouldn't hesitate getting the 9mm either.

Pricey, but worth every penny.

media1-16.jpg

I have a Springfield XD. 45, HiPoint. 45 and 9mm, Mossberg 835 12 gauge pump turkey shotgun, and I'm holding my Dad's AR-15 while he is out of town working. Want to get a little. 22 for plinking for fun sometime. Love me some guns. Gonna get my CCW sometime soon but Missouri is an open carry state so I could just strap my holster on and keep it visible. Lol

I shoot a Sharps .45-70 in long range competitions, it definitly has a punch, but if you reload your own shells it pretty cost effective and you can lower the kick back. I use Goex Black Powder in my shells, lower kick but same velocity as smokeless. The only downside is you have to clean it immediatly when finished shooting.

If it is because the Goex Black Powder is corrosive then swab the bore down with some windex glass cleaner to neutralize it and then you can clean it in the next day or so.

usdsk8er540 said:
I have a Springfield XD. 45, HiPoint. 45 and 9mm, Mossberg 835 12 gauge pump turkey shotgun, and I'm holding my Dad's AR-15 while he is out of town working. Want to get a little. 22 for plinking for fun sometime. Love me some guns. Gonna get my CCW sometime soon but Missouri is an open carry state so I could just strap my holster on and keep it visible. Lol

Indiana allows open carry also, but you are just asking for trouble in doing so. We have the lifetime CCP here. It's great!

usdsk8er540 said:
Nice! Wish there was a lifetime ccw permit here in Missouri. We have to renew every 2 years I believe.

I think having to retest and renew is a great idea. You have to renew drivers license, why not a gun?

I'll play! But I will only post a couple of my favorites from my collection...

My M1 Garand and 1911
DSC01634.jpg

my BBQ gun :D
IMAG0563.jpg

my Rem 700 PSS in AICS
DSC02049.jpg

Franchi SPAS 12 next to my Sig P220R Equinox
DSC00553.jpg

my registered shorty AR
DSC03447.jpg

what I got for christmas this year from my fiancee; FNP-45 Tactical to use with my 45Osprey suppressor
405779_10151084302695107_868260106_22322358_1147461411_n.jpg

and here is a replica of the Colt 602 that was first issued to troops in vietnam
DSC02701.jpg

Given that we have the 2nd Amendment why should we have to have a permit to carry in the first place?

most states have a few minimum requirements for carry to protect us from the obvious persons society does not want to be carrying fire arms. some of the requirements in most states are age usually 21, no federal convictions. most of use can agree with these.

most states have a few minimum requirements for carry to protect us from the obvious persons society does not want to be carrying fire arms. some of the requirements in most states are age usually 21, no federal convictions. most of use can agree with these.

Its the same thing with voting "rights" too right? Everyone has the "right" to vote but not everyone can actually vote (felons, under 18, ect).

o3rangexit, nice BBC gun. like the mods, adjustable site, extended safety, ss grip safety, looks like a trigger job was done too. I bet that 6 inch barrel makes it a real tack driver. did you do the mods or have your smitty do them? I really like the 1911 platform they are so easy to mod and make to your own liking.

Actually, the gun pretty much came how you see it there! I purchased the grips without actually owning an appropriate 1911 to put them on. I decided I wanted something in stainless or hard chrome, and preferably a long slide. I found the perfect gun on the Springfield armory website and then had my arms dealer scour his dustributors for one. It shot like grap out of the box with a heavy and gritty 13lb trigger. I sent it back to Springfield armory and the smoothed it out for me. I love it now!

I started with the Beretta 92FS and got the Walther for carry and something manageable for SWMBO. In Dec I snagged a Colt 1911 Govt XSE and my goodness I love that thing. So I (kinda) have both standard issue US Military sidearms used for the last 100 years, but for me the Colt is a far cry better gun than my other two.

8ad74125.jpg

OK been searching & researching small everyday ccw at at low cost. kel-tec p-11 has risen above pf9.

loaded weight:
pf9; 18.2 oz
p-11: 20oz

pf9 7+1
p11 10+1 expandable to a full 15 +1

trigger pull on p-11 a big 9lbs (concern how had is it?)
trigger pull on pf9 a small 5.5lbs

same price (213-224 with out ffl transfer)
both have belt clip for quick tactical draw, houge after market slip on grips & trigger shoe mods... to help recoil and trigger pull issues.

I'm 5'9" 180lbs I can hide that extra .22" in p-11 over pf9. Arthritis in hands isn't too bad yet, I think I could still solidly pull a 9lb trigger.

Like the extra round capacity up to 15 and some +p rounds in p-11 however would probably never fire more than 115 gr, just nice to know it would handle it... found both on line from same shop for same price. checking out local gun shop again, may buy this weekend at traveling gun show. any p-11 owners? any pf9 owners? both?

like I said didn't find too much difference between 2 in hand but no place to fire local before purchase.

sp101 .357 back burner need to take ccw class sooner than fishing camping back pack defense. no snakes out yet.. although it is a warm winter.

any advise appreciated

starrfish said:
OK been searching & researching small everyday ccw at at low cost. kel-tec p-11 has risen above pf9.

trigger pull on p-11 a big 9lbs (concern how had is it?)
trigger pull on pf9 a small 5.5lbs

like I said didn't find too much difference between 2 in hand but no place to fire local before purchase.

any advise appreciated

I don't know keltec well, but I do have a CCW and carry occasionally. I caught this quote on the P11 wiki, "The P-11 lacks an external manual safety relying instead on a long and heavy double action only (DAO) trigger pull, which requires nine pounds of pressure, to prevent accidental discharge."

A 9lb DAO pull with no manual safety would rule this out for me. By contrast, the slide on my PK380 a few posts up requires 10lbs of pressure to operate. My personal preference is to carry with a round chambered, hammer down (not cocked) and safety engaged with a DA/SA weapon.

I am a pretty average shooter, a DAO 9lb pull would probably be hard for me to control consistently.

But with the PF9, a manual safety and 5lb DAO pull would work for me. GL.

The PF9 also has no external safety. The belt clip method instead of a holster on ANY pistol without an external safety is not agood idea IMHO. The long trigger pull is a safety feature but i would never trust anything in my daily carry rig without the trigger being covered. Ask Plaxico.

Just my .02 and i carry my Glock in a holster with trigger covered.

I don't go hunting, but let's just say we are well protected in case of intruders, zombie attacks, or just your average Apocalypse.

starfish you really are short changing yourself going with a kel-tec, these firearms were fine at their price point but with the release of the kahr cm9 the price difference is no longer that much of a difference. cm9's can be found in the 420 dollar range. for a gun of this high quality at that price it just does not make sense to buy the kel-tec anymore. recoil is much less felt with the kahr the build is first rate. buy the best ccw firearm you can afford after all if it is needed you must be sure it will work your life is betting on it.

Glock 26 - as an off duty, CCW - it's perfect for me. Reliability, 10 rounds w/ a 17 rd backup, ammo affordability for plinking, combined with Federal HST rounds...it provides more than enough punch.

Also did some 100 yard plinking a couple years ago just for craps and giggles...it's fun to see a subcompact put rounds on paper at that distance (Man sized target).

Okay I need help.

I've decided I'm buying my cm concealed carry pistol next week and am having the hardest time deciding.

My choices:
-Taurus 738
-Kel Tec PF9
-Taurus 709

I like the price of the 708, but ammos more expensive and it seems almost too small. (If you know me, you know I have a strange Napoleon Complex, and would CC a 1911 if I thought I could do so). Then there's the PF9, a bit more expensive, cheaper ammo and more stopping power, everything I've read, people love this gun. Lastly, I've only been looking a little bit at the Taurus 709, a little bigger (back to the Napolean Complex), still cheap ammo, but averagely $75 more than the PF9.

I've held the 738, but not the PF9, nor the 709, and none of the local shops have them that I could hold and get a feel for.

So, does anyone have any experience with the above firearms they could lend an opinion? I've read quite a few reviews on 738 vs PF9, but very very little on 709.

Edit: I'm open to other options, but, I'm not a huge Glock guy, so I'm not open to those and I already have a SW40VE if I plan to carry anything larger, so 9mm is pretty as large a caliber I want to go.

HIM_Tattoos said:
Okay I need help.

I've decided I'm buying my cm concealed carry pistol next week and am having the hardest time deciding.

My choices:
-Taurus 738
-Kel Tec PF9
-Taurus 709

I like the price of the 708, but ammos more expensive and it seems almost too small. (If you know me, you know I have a strange Napoleon Complex, and would CC a 1911 if I thought I could do so). Then there's the PF9, a bit more expensive, cheaper ammo and more stopping power, everything I've read, people love this gun.

IMHO you just answered your question. I would take the PF9 for those same exacy reasons, mainly that its a bigger round than a .380

For what its worth you can conceal a full frame handgun if you dress to conceal. I can hide my Glock 22 in a tuckable holster just fine so a 1911 wouldnt be any harder.

Back