Firearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm considering these hi-point firearms: http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handguns/handgun_main.html
Very inexpesive, reliable, 100% USA made, full lifetime warranty, anyone have actual experience with them? Looks good from all the reviews and youtube stuff.

They are ugly and many will tell you they are not good. I have not shot one so I can say if they are good or not. Best thing to do is try one out and then make a choice.

Current firearms in our house:

Daniel Defense M4
WASR-10 (AK clone)
Ruger 10/22
S&W MP-22
Remington 870 Tactical
Remington 870 Not-quite-as-tactical

Sig P226
Glock 17
Glock 26
1911 Commander
Ruger MK III Hunter

Come and get us zombies! If you can't tell, shooting sports is my other hobby. :)

It's not very smart to give a list of firearms you have at home when using your real name as a handle and have your location listed. It took all of 10 seconds to find your address on Google. Now your home is a target. That was not too swift!!!!!!!:mad: You are giving the liberals a good excuse for gun control.

hmm Never had a weapon but thinking of getting one for self defense any suggestions?

If you are looking for a home defense weapon stay away from a pistol. I recommend a shorter barreled shotgun. The advantage of a shotgun is that you don't have to aim very well and you don't have to worry about killing a neighbor if your home is close to a neighbors.

hmm Never had a weapon but thinking of getting one for self defense any suggestions?

If it's primarily for home defense or to have in your car, I like knotquiteawake's suggestion of a revolver - simpler for the novice to operate. But in that case, I'd suggest maybe a .357 Magnum, such as a S&W K-frame or equivalent with a 4 inch barrel. You can shoot the milder .38 Spl in the .357 and if you get comfortable with the recoil from those, you can later move up to shooting .357 Mag. - and if not, there are some pretty good .38 Spl defensive rounds you can use.

beerloaf said:
I carry a Glock 36. .45 ACP and very compact and slim design. Pretty accurate for its size as well.

beerloaf

Yeah my subcompact xd 40 cal was once called a baby gun, until he shot it. Kicks worst than my 1911 mostly the snap from the 3" barrel

Sawdustguy said:
If you are looking for a home defense weapon stay away from a pistol. I recommend a shorter barreled shotgun. The advantage of a shotgun is that you don't have to aim very well and you don't have to worry about killing a neighbor if your home is close to a neighbors.

Agreed, plus if you have never shot a shotgun inside a building or house it loud as hell and the muzzle flash is crazy. It's a very intimidating weapon. Plus you can pickup a 870 pump on the cheap.

Here are a couple of my builds.
DSCF00422.JPG

DSCF00411.JPG

Nice! I had no idea about this thread. I will be checking in often. I might be a Californian from the Bay Area but I love my shooting sports!

Agreed. I have two shotguns under my bed and box of bird shot on my nightstand. I don't want to ruin my walls too much ;)

I have 2 Remington 700's (in .30-06 and .50 caliber muzzleloader), several assorted shotguns, and a Ruger P-97 in 9 mil. I usually get a couple of deer a year, and if I'm lucky, a turkey. We shoot doves, squirrels, and ducks when we can, and we eat them all. Even shot a pigeon on a dairy farm last season, and my 15-yr-old son wanted to cook it up. We did and it was great.

Ok, that's what I'm looking for, what is your unbiased opinion of it's performance in accuracy and dependability, I couldn't care less if it's ugly or not,
ThanX!:mug:

I made an error in my typing of the posting.... I have not fired one of them, so I only have what it said online. Go find one to shoot.

Picked this up a couple of months ago, my first 1911, sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

5894994539_a0025b0466_z.jpg

gaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

I love 1911's. One of the UPD Officers that I see all the time at work has this GORGEOUS Kimber 1911.

I've just got a cheap stoeger cougar 8040. (basically a short barrel beretta, for home/self defense)

I know I've posted my Seecamp, but I don't think I ever posted a picture of my snubbie so here they are together. the .32 and .38.

IMG_2614 (Medium).jpg

I'm a shooter. Have a Savage Model 10 FCP .308 with a Nikon Monarch 4-16X42SF scope, Colt Government 1991A1 .45ACP, Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm, Ruger Ranch .223, Stevens 12 gauge, Winchester Model 90 .22LR; and I am a CCW permit holder. I am starting to get into reloading but is really cuts into my brewing budget!

I had a 9mm CZ 75 SP01 Tactical, a Kel-Tec PF9 and a Ruger MK III target pistol, but I sold them all a couple years ago. I really liked the CZ but I'd like a .45, so I'm thinking a CZ 97 B might be my next gun. I'd also like to get a 1911 (preferably a Springfield) and an XDM. Gonna have to work a lot of OT.

Glad to see another CZ fan...My own personal favorite is my original 40P (first run)

I'm jones'n for a CZ 453 Varmint in 22lr right now!

I swore I had posted my carry gun here... Kahr P45 with the DLC finish. I've carried a dozen different pistols, it gets no better, compact and still a big bore.

29822_1469050247842_1281165735_31311246_4501124_n.jpg

Kahr.Holster.jpg

Nice

Originally Posted by McMalty "What are we supposed to do, the balls get the best signal"

Used to shoot alot, since I was a little lad (which isn't really that long ago). Anyway, my favorite is my 1987 Ruger Redhawk, 7.5", in .44Mag, blued.

Rifle, I hunted with a Remington Model 700 in .243Win, synthetic stock, 3-9x Buckmasters scope. Shotgun is a Remington 1187 Short, wood stock.

My dad used to be a gunsmith, and he's sorta taught me some stuff. Rifle is glass-bedded, and every trigger is light, slick, and sharp. Kyle

3008720019_1eaae8d1bd.jpg

A 30-30 for long range shooting??? Don't take this wrong but from my part of the country, a 30-30 is never referred to as a long range rifle. More of a brush gun.

That's ok though. Different hunting habitats require different weapons. Our hunting is for deer, pronghorn (usually just called antelope), and elk. If your lucky, a moose license and possible big horn sheep or mountain goat. Either way a heavy hitting magnum rifle is in order. My personal favorites are the 264 win mag, 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag, and the 338 win mag. All can reach out and touch when getting closer than 500 yards is not possible. All are effective beyond that range in the hands of a truly skilled marksman.

All that said, the freezer is full of fresh, free range, deer, elk, and antelope for the winter. Now it's time to start firing up the old brew kettle again!

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I don't have any pictures of it, but heres a video of me shooting my Smith and Wesson M&P9 in a USPSA match.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/frc928?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/cPjo3srt0js"]http://www.youtube.com/user/frc928?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/cPjo3srt0js[/ame]

Tanfoglio Witness Match .45
DPMS AR-10 20 rd and 5 rd Bull Barrel, M-4 Stock, Leupold Sight
Taurus .38 Revolver
SCAR Clone

And I shoot M-16's every few months...damn reserves.

A 30-30 for long range shooting??? Don't take this wrong but from my part of the country, a 30-30 is never referred to as a long range rifle. More of a brush gun.

That's ok though. Different hunting habitats require different weapons. Our hunting is for deer, pronghorn (usually just called antelope), and elk. If your lucky, a moose license and possible big horn sheep or mountain goat. Either way a heavy hitting magnum rifle is in order. My personal favorites are the 264 win mag, 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag, and the 338 win mag. All can reach out and touch when getting closer than 500 yards is not possible. All are effective beyond that range in the hands of a truly skilled marksman.

All that said, the freezer is full of fresh, free range, deer, elk, and antelope for the winter. Now it's time to start firing up the old brew kettle again!

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Love that 7 mm Rem Mag. Kills on both ends!

Got my first gun yesterday. Picked up a used Remington 870 combo at a local gun show. Wood stock for now. Real tree shurshot stock coming within a couple weeks. It's currently at a family members until the action lock I ordered comes from Amazon on Wednesday. Can't wait to shoot it.

*lock came today. Woohoo.

image-4090025137.jpg

Back