Fire Loss of all brewing equipment!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p40whk

Reaction score
While grinding the welds to my new brew sculpture, the sparks ignited some flammable materials in my garage and I had a pretty good fire (not the marshmallow roasting kind!).

All of my brewing equipment is toast, literally! And I had collected quite a bit.

Luckily I'm fully ensured and will be reimbursed for the loss so I'm looking for recommendations for a new HLT, Mash Tun, Boil Kettle, and fermenter for 10 gallon batches.

JaDed sells a nice HERMS HLT with built in coil but I've not seen any reviews of it, it's 15 gallons (less with the coil) so not sure if it's big enough.

I was considering the Spedel Plastic Fermenter but was concerned that the 15.9 gal. would be too big and I really would like to have a single fermenter for a 10 gallon batch. Not wanting to spend a fortune on a conical if I don't have to.

I'm Ok using a good grade aluminum with stainless fittings such as the Update International pots and modifying them but if there is a ready made solution that is comparable in price I'd rather go that route.

I'm using the Bayou Classic Kab4 burners (2 of them) as these survived the fire.

For a mash tun, I had planned to use a 52 quart Coleman Extreme cooler but if anyone can convince me of a better setup I'm all ears.

It sucks not being able to brew for months but the silver lining is that I get to buy a completely new setup and I'd like to do it right.

If you had to start over what would be your preferred equipment?

thanks!

Back