Fire ant infestation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendavanza

Reaction score
I have 4 potted hop plants in their second year. One of the pots became a fire ant home, the entire pot was their mound. The only non poisonous solution I could think of was dump the whole pot out on the ground, carefully pull the root ball, hose it off and re-pot. Any other solutions in case this happens again? I'd prefer to not use poison as I'll be using the hops for beer.

Liquid soap solution might be effective, but they are hard to get rid of. My few years in Florida were filled with RA woes. It seems that you kill them or scare them to your neighbors house and then they send them back to you.

Insect growth regulators (IGRs) and metabolic inhibitors work really well on destroying the colonies. I'd look up the specifications for Amdro and Distance and see what it says about their use on semi-consumable plants. I know that they are delivered to the colony by ingestion (bait type poison) so the amount that actually makes it into the soil if very minimal. Hell, since you have them in planters, you could just apply the bait to the surrounding area and the ants will surely eat it and bring it back to the queen.

I worked on a fire ant program with the local government in Orange County CA several years ago and we had some real good results with the two products mentioned above.

I can't speak as to whether it's a bad thing for your Hops roots or not but if you're looking for a way to kill off the ants without the use of poison and you're not in a rush to have them dead you can use the exchange method which I've found to be very effective.

You simply need a shovel and you get a scoop from another ant hill elsewhere and add it to the hill you want to kill (Generally I'm trying to kill both hills so I would exchange shovel fulls between the). The fire ants will kill each other as they're pretty much guaranteed to fight it out if they're from different hills. Once the queen is killed the bed will usually be abandoned (and from best I can tell die completely over a relatively short period of time).

I've lived in the deep Southeast for a couple decades and between that method and sometimes throwing a bit of poison out we've almost never had issues with them.

just flood the pot . keeping it full of water for two days will not hurt the hops but will dround the ants

just flood the pot . keeping it full of water for two days will not hurt the hops but will dround the ants

Fire ants can live under water for atleast 4 days. You can use crushed red pepper. The fine stuff, not the flakes. Also, D-Earth works well.

I can't speak as to whether it's a bad thing for your Hops roots or not but if you're looking for a way to kill off the ants without the use of poison and you're not in a rush to have them dead you can use the exchange method which I've found to be very effective.

You simply need a shovel and you get a scoop from another ant hill elsewhere and add it to the hill you want to kill (Generally I'm trying to kill both hills so I would exchange shovel fulls between the). The fire ants will kill each other as they're pretty much guaranteed to fight it out if they're from different hills. Once the queen is killed the bed will usually be abandoned (and from best I can tell die completely over a relatively short period of time).

I've lived in the deep Southeast for a couple decades and between that method and sometimes throwing a bit of poison out we've almost never had issues with them.

Okay this method not only sounds effective but a lot of fun to watch. :rockin:

There is also a product by a company called Dr.Earth, Its an all organic pest control that does work.. And its not really expensive. But I don't know if you can find it out were you live.. You may be able to get it on line though.

We've only found one sure-fire way to get rid of fireants here....move.

Fire ants can live under water for atleast 4 days.

Usually before that 4 days is up, they float up as a giant ball of ants and then bridge themselves to the nearest dry point. Both fascinating and frightening to watch. Those little buggers pack a mean sting...

Usually before that 4 days is up, they float up as a giant ball of ants and then bridge themselves to the nearest dry point. Both fascinating and frightening to watch. Those little buggers pack a mean sting...

True.....I have seen that on the Discovery channel.

nuke_the_site_from_orbit.jpg

Back