Finished keggerator and someone switched my SWMBO.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeufelBrew

Reaction score
Stole Twoheadsbrewing idea and put a cuff on the front of a mini fridge. Caster wheels installed on the bottom front of the cuff make it movable. Door was reinstalled with existing hardware and magnetic tape placed on the front to make the door seal properly. Drip pan made from some leftover galvanized sheet metal.
Keggerator_Build_006.jpg

Johnson analog controller and wiring for small computer fan to circulate into the tower run through the back and reinsulated with expanding foam. My pocket knife shows where it went through. No lines in the back, so it was very easy.

Keggerator_Build_001.jpg

Finally got the tap tower installed for my freebie mini fridge keggerator. Took a while to get the 3/8 QD barbs into the 3/16 beer line. Two taps in the tower with room to force carb a third and picnic tap it as needed. Don't remember who mentioned it, but the wood chip smoker box works well as a drip pan and costs about $10.

Keggerator_done_001.jpg

Now, SWMBO comes out to see what I've been working on. "WOW, it's all bright and shinny! Don't you think it would be better to have it in the basement so it's not going through the huge temperature fluctuations in the garage?":confused:

Is this the same woman who ranted for a week about a nice wood finished fermentation chamber in the basement? Is this the same woman who carps regularly about carboys and kegs?

Ladies and gentelmen, I do believe she finally accepts my addici.. er, Hobby now. :fro:

Hey is that the Magic Chef 4.4? I just did some adjustments to one (wuoldn't really call it a full conversion) and it is working, but just wondering if I can make it a bit snazzier.

It's the 3.9 from Magic Chef. With a 2x12 cuff, it JUST fits 3 cornies and the co2 on the shelf in back. I'm thinking of running the co2 line through the back like I did with the temp probe and fan wires. Then I can keep a better eye on co2 levels and force carb externally.

Let me know if you have questions.

I have been inspired by your collar and I am doing one of my own. I got tired of having to do a 3 gal corny and a 5 gal corny so now it will be two 5 gal cornies. Mine one be quite as large as your but It will be enough to get that extra couple inches that I need for the 5 gal corny.

She only accepts it because it's now something she can easily benefit from. It's amazing how SWMBOs come around once the kegs are flowing.

Exact same thing happened to me with my keezer. Just finished it yesterday and the wife finally comes to the back area of the basement (unfinished portion) and says, "wow, it actually looks nice. It would look good in the main room if we put shelves above it for your beer glasses, signs, etc."

I'm like "wtf" if I had known you were gonna' let me put it in the main room I would have paid extra $$$ to get perlick faucets that I can buy tap locks for. As it is now the kids would surely turn our brand new carpet into a $2,000 beer sponge.

Anybody know how to build tap locks for standard faucets? Do they sell them anywhere for anything but the Perlicks?

Too funny the same thing happened to you.

Well, I will be the first to say that it does look very nice and it would be a shame to have it buried out in the garage. Its nice that she can appreciate the work you put into it, now if you can come up with a recipe that she likes you can commit one tap to that and be set.
Best of luck.

Just Curious how these fridges have held up over the years. I picked up a Magic Chef and am thinking about doing the same. I already removed the inner door panal, but still not enough room. How are the fridge components holding up? Also, Did you relocate the freezer tray, or keep it where it was. Nice build!!

Back